Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > DICTATION IN FIRST GRADE    

DICTATION IN FIRST GRADE

JECMPJ
Colombia

DICTATION IN FIRST GRADE

Good morning teachers...

I have a First grade with 26 students but I have tried to learn how to write some words in english by dictation but they have some troubles with that because they confused spanish with english, for example if I dictate Apple they write Apol or if I say Table they write teibol I explained them that is different write and pronounce but every class is the same, maybe could you pleaseeeeee help me with any suggestion for helping them??

Thanks in advance

28 Mar 2013      

edrodmedina
United States

Even native speakers in first grade and beyond have problems spelling. The examples that you have given are actually pretty good attempts. They have to learn spelling patterns and such before you can expect them to spell correctly. Pick and choose some high frequency sight words appropriate for that grade (google Fry �s words or Dolch Words), those might be more useful. Ed

28 Mar 2013     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i give dictations to my students, but before i started doing that i taught them short/long sounds, consonant sounds, digraphs and clusters. writing also requires memorization so you have to give them the list of words so that they study and obviously you have to practice using the words in the classroom. as ed said you should start with the dolch words which will also improve theri reading comprehension

28 Mar 2013     

maryse pey�
France

1 exercise I like my students to do is make them close their eyes and pronounce the confusing words asking them which one they recognize. When you make them close their eyes you must explain why. Their brain will automatically focuses on the sound and completely forget the parasite of visual impression.

You can try from time to time. The students are reassured about their results and they are very proud to be able to perform such an exercise. Then you can make your dictation more easily.
It is just, in my opinion, an interesting tool to adopt. Even their accent will improve !    

28 Mar 2013