Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!    

Help!

*Maria*
Russian Federation

Help!

Hi! My question is to native speakers :). Is it possible to say �I feel myself happy �? I know the rules, but I �ve seen such a sentence in an American book. Can it be informal? Or American English?

30 Mar 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I haven �t heard anyone say it, but I would find it OK if they did. People often say, I �m happy in myself, probably when outside circumstances are bad!

Or,  I feel, myself, happy. You feel happy, but others may not feel happy. 

30 Mar 2013     

*Maria*
Russian Federation

I just want to make sure because it �s a typical Russian mistake. Our students quite often say �I feel myself angry / sick / OK. It �s because in Russian we do have this �myself �, so they translate this word, too.

30 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Right, Maria, I understand. No, it �s not reflexive in English. I feel happy is correct.

30 Mar 2013     

*Maria*
Russian Federation

Thank you :)!

30 Mar 2013     

alex1968
Greece

I agree with Lynne.  You can �t say you "feel yourself"unless you were actually touching your body with your hands!!!

However, you might �ve seen it in this type of context:
I woke up with a start because I felt myself falling... (Physically falling)

or
As the drugs took effect, I could feel myself falling into a trance...

BUT
I feel happy/sad/exhausted.

30 Mar 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes, as Alex is saying, we can use "feel myself" plus a verb.

I feel myself getting old.
I feel myself losing my temper.

Also, I think Lynne would agree that "I, myself, feel happy" and "I feel happy myself" are more common than "I feel, myself, happy".

Bruce

30 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, I do agree, Bruce. I was trying to think if that utterance was at all possible and in what way, since Maria had seen it in a book. It �s not incorrect - English is very flexible -  but it �s clumsy and not a natural sentence.  

By the way, Maria, there are many non-natives on here who could have answered your question fully. 

30 Mar 2013     

*Maria*
Russian Federation

Sure :). I didn �t (and don �t) want to offend anyone, but I prefer natives :). If you wanted to study Russian, you would ask a native for help, I �m sure. It �s all about sounding natural :)

30 Mar 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear *Maria*,

I have just spent 3 hours writing an answer to a question which I saw on ESLP.  A moment ago, I re-read your question and then also re-read my answer.  Unfortunately, the answer that I wrote, SUPERB though it is, answers an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT question to the question that you asked.

I apologise!

If anyone wishes to know why, in English, we normally say: "I feel happy"; "It tastes good", "You smell nice", etc, and NOT "I am feeling happy"; "It is tasting good"; "You are smelling nice", etc, I shall be happy to forward my answer to you.

*Maria*, the answers given on the ESLP Forum about this query so far, are excellent.

So now, *Maria*, I will try to answer YOUR QUESTION.  Is it possible to say "I feel myself happy" ?

Yes, it is possible, because almost everything is possible, if the context allows it.  Is it probable?  No, I have never heard a person in the UK use that particular construction.  I would use: "I am happy."  Is it informal?  I think that it is neither formal nor informal --- it seems to me to be a peculiar construction.  Is it American?  I think not, because I have never heard it in the numerous American films that I have seen (and I can understand most foreign languages). (Joke!).

If I tried to envisage a situation where it might be used.  I suggest the following, (but "I feel happy" would be just as appropriate).

Doctor: "When I inject you with the drug, please tell me how you feel."

Patient: "At first, I am anxious. I feel nothing but problems all around me.  Then, gradually, slowly, I can see myself, lying on this bed.  Then, I feel myself becoming relaxed and drowsy.  I feel all of my troubles, all of my problems are coming out of my mouth and disappearing into the air, like smoke.  Then, I feel myself floating, floating on a cloud above the city, looking down.  All those poor people down there, with all their problems, and I have NONE!  I have NO problems.  I feel myself happy, and relaxed, and at peace.  Then, slowly, gently,I feel myself floating back to earth, back to your lovely hospital: back to this lovely, warm bed.  Thank you for helping me, Doctor!

So, I suggest that the sentence "I feel myself happy" could be used in a situation where the individual, almost as an observer, is looking at himself/herself and describing his/her own feelings.  "I see myself lying on the bed, and I feel myself having all these conflicting emotions --- one moment I feel myself happy, then the next moment I feel myself sad."

This is somewhat similar to the answer of Alex1968.

Answers given by Bruce are always worth reading and noting.

Lynne (Cunliffe) raises an interesting point.  "I feel, myself, happy."  You feel happy, but others may not feel happy.  This is equivalent to: "I feel myself happy, although others, themselves, may feel bad."

However, like Lynne, I think that I would punctuate it: "I feel, myself, happy."

But I am loathe to write anything about Lynne, except to say that Lynne is intelligent, witty, attractive, kind, pretty, sweet, amusing ... ... and shall I go on?
You see, I have had the pleasure of MEETING our dear friend Lynne, in Newcastle, and spending 3 hours in her charming company, on a lightning Tour of the city.  I have the photographs to PROVE it.  Once again, Lynne, "Thank you."

In "A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language" by Professor Randolph Quirk et al, 2010, they write:

Obligatory Reflexive Pronoun as Object.
Note.
(a) Many verbs can have different constructions, eg: enjoy.
I enjoyed myself [�had a good time �]
I enjoyed the party [�took pleasure in �]
I enjoyed the guests [�liked�] (especially American English)

In American English this verb is also used intransitively as an Imperative Enjoy!, equivalent to �Bon Appetit�.

(b) Feel is semi-reflexive in a complex-transitive construction [4] but non-reflexive in copular use [5].
She always felt (herself) a stranger in their house. 4
She always felt (herself) wounded by his remarks. 4
She felt cold. 5

In normal circumstances, I would always use: "I feel happy."

I hope that I have helped you a little, *Maria*.

Очень приятно.

Les

P.S.  How do I pronounce *Maria* (with 2 asterisks)?

30 Mar 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Superb answer, Les! I could almost feel myself lying there on that doctor �s couch, my cares and worries drifting away into the ether. I could feel myself floating on the silver clouds above the city. I saw myself freed at last from the shackles of this life, looking down at all the poor souls trundling into work, the weight of the world on their shoulders. I felt myself at one and in love with them, the great heroic mass of humanity and I felt myself at peace. Then the cat bit my ear. 

Les, I have missed you on the forum! Thank you for your lovely words. Didn �t we have a great time? It was a joy to spend some time with a gentleman as charming, witty, kind and brilliant as yourself. And I loved the tricks with the balloons.Wink

Lynne

31 Mar 2013     

1    2    Next >