Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WONDERING    

WONDERING

pilarmham
Spain

WONDERING

Why "I think" has turned into "I guess". When?

31 Mar 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I used to say �I suppose � but now I �ll say �I guess � as well! 
I guess it sounds cool!!! Actually, I �m a sucker for American accents, just love them. Have a nice day, pilarmham, ma �am!

31 Mar 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I guess is informal and more common for American English
Sophia

@Lynne: must have been typing at the same time:)

31 Mar 2013     

pilarmham
Spain

I imagine everything �s fine. Who can think (or believe, that �s even harder!) nowadays? Wink

31 Mar 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �ll use "I guess," "I think," "I believe," and "I suppose." In my usage, "I guess" and "I suppose" show some skepticism or reluctance, but "I think" and "I believe" are more forthright while acknowledging the possibility of being wrong. I might also use "I think" or "I believe" if I am pretty sure of what I �m saying but I don �t want to be aggressive about my statement.

31 Mar 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

hi pilarmham and all,
You might enjoy this poem by Taylor Mali (my favorite by far).
It is about the recent changes in how we express oursleves...very powerful!

1 Apr 2013     

Jayho
Australia

I �ve been using I think and I guess ever since I was a teenager, which was a loooong time ago

I guess maybe it �s American English and we, down here, being inundated with American TV just adopted it as part of our vernacular, but it is slightly different to I think

Cheers

Jayho

1 Apr 2013