Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP!HELP! Open class 100 students    

HELP!HELP! Open class 100 students

muyang1984
Canada

HELP!HELP! Open class 100 students

Hello Fellow Teachers,

Need some help here for this one! Anyone, please post any ideas you have. I am a fairly new esl teacher in China. There is a company I �m working for. The boss is someone my wife knows quite well, so the relationship is quite good. Anyway he has opened an ESL training center here and has scheduled an open class where parents and children that I have never met before will come and listen to me teach. The objective is to make them satisfied enough to register with this training center.
So I have got the task to do this open class. There will be 100 students of varying levels from Grade 1 - 6 and my task is to make them talk. The DURATION is 45 minuets. Obviously I will choose some students maybe 10 to do some kind of task where they need to speak. The topic will have to be fairly easy because there are grade 1 esl students there as well.

Please post your ideas in regards to what kind of topic I could choose for this occasion. I �ve NEVER met. This is an open class for the public to come and see to see whether they want to register with this company.

Thanks guys

1 Apr 2013      

Nostrathomas
Turkey

Wow! what an opportunity. With so much ice to break you need something that gets more communicative as the minutes go by. What about a Find Someone Who style activity, or tape some notes under their chairs with color coded question and answers (subjects and verbs maybe) and have them spread these questions around and make different sentences and responses with them.
  Try not to get daunted because there are so many people there. They will respect and listen to you. You will probably want to make the body of the lesson something about Making positive/negative/questions to describe the people around you.
   Are these guys going to use pens and paper in your lesson? If they are ask them to write their questions about the test with their email address on them and pass them to you. I can almost guarantee that the 45 minutes will fly past. That will give them the chance to have their individual questions answered without wasting too much time.
   Have fun and be amazed by the situation, and don �t worry about learing all their names in the first class :)

1 Apr 2013     

carinita
Argentina

Oh! I didn �t know I was soooo lucky with my class of 24 male teenager students!!!
Regards

1 Apr 2013     

flo84
France

As it is just one class and the aim of it is obviously to make your class attractive and interesting I would look for games or ice breakers. Some games can be done with an elementary level and as your class is just 45 minutes long, I think that 2 or 3 games should be enough. If your students enjoy themselves while learning English this should make them willing to register to the class, shouldn �t it?

1 Apr 2013     

muyang1984
Canada

No pens or paper. Also they are different levels from those that can �t say anything past hello how are you, to those that know simple verbs and stuff. Some wont understand.

2 Apr 2013