Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > busser and bussing...    

busser and bussing...

Jehanne18
France

busser and bussing...

Hello!
I am preparing a lesson about summer jobs and I have found something like a list of different summer jobs existing for teens. But I am stuck with these two terms: busser and bussing.
I understood that they refered to restauration and food, but I don �t know what it can be. If someone can explain to me, and may be give me a translation into French, I would be very grateful!
Thanks in advance!

2 Apr 2013      

FrauSue
France

Hi Jehanne,

A "busboy" or "busser" is someone who clears the plates from tables in a restaurant. See the definition here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/busboy . I think it �s only used in the USA - as a UK native speaker, I �ve never heard it outside American sitcoms on TV.

Hope that helps!

2 Apr 2013     

douglas
United States

Yep, Sue is right.

When I was in high school I spent a couple years "bussing" tables at a nice restaurant on the coast of California.  Since it was a nice restaurant, my busboy duties entailed quite a bit more than just cleaning-off tables after customers left. 

I also brought bread and water to the tables, refilled drinks, and assisted the waiter/ess with whatever they needed. I would also remove plates/dishes as the customers finished and once they left, I would clean-off the table and prepare it for the next guests.

2 Apr 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

douglas, I �m sure you were the most charming busboy in town!
Les might probably have done a good job too...

2 Apr 2013     

Jehanne18
France

Thanks a lot for your quick replies! I understand now!Thank you.

3 Apr 2013