Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Which or Where    

Which or Where

dmharg
Greece

Which or Where

Hi everyone. There is something I have never understood. When do we use Which and when Where? For example. This is the house where or which I grew up ????

3 Apr 2013      

Poppingdale
Portugal

Hi! This is the house where I grew up. This is the house in which I grew up. This is the house I grew up in. I think these are all correct.

3 Apr 2013     

dmharg
Greece

So if there is � �in � � we put which, otherwise we put where?

3 Apr 2013     

dutchy79
Netherlands

You want to use where to denote the place; The house (is the place) where I grew up. Or to give you another example: That �s the supermarket where I buy all my groceries. (here I would never use "in which" because a supermarket is so far away from being a thing,

Whenever you want to use which you talk about a thing, so using it in combination with house is fine, exept that, like in the reply above, you need to add in because you used to live in the thing that we call house.

Another example might be: This is the box in which we keep the kids � toys. (putting emphasis on the object that is the box) OR This is the box where we keep the kids � toys. (putting emphasis on the �space � in the box...

But going back to the supermarket example; when you talk about one of the functions of the supermarket as a company, than you use which without "in": That �s the supermarket which has those good offers this week.

I hope that �s clear...Take care!

3 Apr 2013     

yanogator
United States

I think a supermarket is as much a thing as a house is. I wouldn �t use "the supermarket in which I shop", but I would say "the supermarket at which I shop". For the rest, though, I agree with dutchy79.

Bruce

3 Apr 2013