Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > again the article    

again the article

pipetochka
Belarus

again the article

the first sentence in the article - gazprom will cut off gas supplies to Ukraine if the former Soviet republic falls to settle a debt...
i start to retell - The article begins with the fact that gazprom will cut off gas supplies to Ukraine if the former Soviet republic falls to settle a debt/ Is it correct? or should i change the tense or what?
help me to solve it.

25 Jan 2009      

Zora
Canada

The article begins with the fact that gazprom will cut off gas supplies to Ukraine if the former Soviet republic falls (should be "fails") to settle a debt... - Otherwise the rest is correct. 

25 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

The article begins with the statement that Gazprom intends to cut off gas supplies to the Ukraine if the former Soviet Union fails to settle its debt.

I think that sounds right.

25 Jan 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Hi Pipetochka,

I see what you mean.You are asking wheather or not you have to change the verb tense of your reported   sentence .

In this case,I say no because you are using the reporting verb "begins"in the simple present  tense.

This means that your sentence is correct.

Have a good night.

25 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

I may be wrong here, but I think you may need to change the verb begins.  The reason is that you are reporting what someone or something has said and usually in reported speech, the tense takes a step back, unless you are reporting direct speech.

In this case you are talking about an article that was published earlier and so is now part of history, so began would be more appropriate.

And again, (I might get thrown out of any linguistic organisation I am not a member of!!!) I actually feel that both could be correct!!!!

26 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

I think you are safe with "The article begins ..." because every time you look at it (it�s printed media), it still begins with....

Just another native, "feels right" educated guess.

Douglas

26 Jan 2009