Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > gallery and museum     

gallery and museum

KHAWLA ALZIOD
Jordan

gallery and museum

Hello everyone ,
I would be grateful if you send me the most accurate  difference between the two

words      "museum "      "gallery "  . The book I teach shows no difference .

Thanks for everyone .

9 Apr 2013      

FrauSue
France

I would say that a museum contains all sorts of historical artefacts (= the British Museum) or a selection of displays about a particular topic (= the Natural History Museum).

A gallery is, in my opinion, either a building which contains lots of artworks (= the National Portrait Gallery), or - and this is the confusing bit - a particular hall within a museum (= see this link: http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/national_museum/explore_the_galleries.aspx).

I hope that makes sense! 

(Note: I am a native speaker of UK English, but these words may have other connotations in other regions.)

9 Apr 2013     

dmharg
Greece

In a gallery someone sells their work (paintings, sculpture ets), but you can �t buy anything from a museum

9 Apr 2013     

FrauSue
France

That �s a good point - in a private gallery you can buy artworks, but not in a public art gallery like the National Portrait Gallery. This is what I think of if you�re talking about visiting an art gallery - a place which functions like a museum for paintings and other artworks.

I can see why this can be confusing!

9 Apr 2013     

lewisronaldc
United States

A  museum is for displaying anything and everything having to do with the world �s culture and history.  Many items are one of a kind and belong to the "world"  Some  of them have a gallery which is for displaying both traditional and modern styles of art.   A few museums do sell prints of some art in a souvenir shop.

A gallery is usually one that buys and sells all kinds of art that could be any style or from any period of time.   However there are some gallery �s that specialize in displaying art for appreciation only.

The main difference is that the gallery concerns itself with art.  

10 Apr 2013