Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Can we say Delivery of the test or Test delivery?    

Can we say Delivery of the test or Test delivery?

veraviana
Portugal

Can we say Delivery of the test or Test delivery?

Hi everyone!

Can you please clarify something for me? 

I usually say and write in the summary �Handing back and correcting the written test �.

However, there are several (if not all) colleagues of mine who insist on writing �Test delivery and correction � or �Delivery and correction of the written test �. Is this correct?

From my point of view, you DELIVER a baby or a package or a speech...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vera

10 Apr 2013      

carlaaguiarsilva
Portugal

Hi Vera. I write the summary just like you and some time ago I asked the exact same question... we are doing the correct thing, delivery doesn �t apply to this situation, a native speaker confirmed. All the best, Carla 

10 Apr 2013     

douglas
United States

I would say "return and correct test"  Delivery does sound strange (it �s what the postman does)--it infers more that you are just bringing the tests to them (physically) without any further actions.
Also the fact that they handed their tetsts in to you originally, you are actually returning them.

10 Apr 2013     

Jayho
Australia

I hear the term �test delivery� used for iELTS (e.g. see point 4)

For the summary I think what your colleagues have written sounds ok but I wouldn�t personally write it like that.  In my workplace we just write �testing� which also implies correction and return but we keep our summaries very brief.  Douglas�s words are good.

Question for you though, do you hand it back and then correct it, or correct it and then hand it back?

Cheers

Jayho

10 Apr 2013     

yanogator
United States

I agree with what the others have said, but don �t you correct them before you return them? I would reverse the order - correction and return of the written tests.

Bruce

10 Apr 2013     

wizardesl
Portugal

"test delivery" sounds really weird! "deliver" is applied in other situations. 
According to British teachers, you should write "Return and correction ...."

10 Apr 2013     

veraviana
Portugal

Well, I grade the tests, hand them back to the students and then they correct the tests with me, in class. We write the correction on the board and they copy it into their notebooks... 

So, let me get this straight, it �s actually not wrong to say test delivery? Really?????

Thanks for your answers. ;-)

10 Apr 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Sorry Veraviana, but I �m confused.  This is probably just a different use of terminology.

You mark(grade) the tests, return them to students and then go through the right answers with students?  Is this what you mean?  If this is actually what you mean I �d write testing and followup (meaning going through the answers). Correction usually means that you as a teacher correct them, that it �s you who writes the correct answer.  If you do it with the students you are really going through the answers with them, checking the answers, following up.  They might correct their answers but using the words �test correction � in a report could be assumed to mean that the teacher is correcting them, or using a  correction key. 

I don �t believe it to be wrong to use �test delivery � but I would hazard a guess that native speakers probably would not frequently use this. It sounds pompous, imho.

I think Bruce and I posted at the same time so I �m not sure if he �s agreeing with me as my opinion was different to the others.

Cheers

Jayho

10 Apr 2013     

veraviana
Portugal

Yeah, I know what you mean but they do write the correction of the whole test in their notebooks. But you �re saying that I should write �Testing and follow up � in the summary? But the testing is done in the previous days not on the day of the follow up... 

I �m sorry but this is such a difficult thing for portugueses teachers... Everybody has doubts when it comes to write the summary the day we return the tests to the students... :-(

Thanks!

10 Apr 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Well no, I�m not saying you should write �testing and follow up�.  I�m just saying that�s how I would write it in my summary.  If it were me I would do as my colleagues do (if plenty are doing it with no repercussions) - you know, safety in numbers, when in Rome do as the Romans do ...

Follow up is usually done on a different day to the test, afterall we need to mark (grade) them, and perhaps even moderate them with our colleagues.  I usually do follow up the following week.  I go through the most common errors and they write the correct answers in their notebooks.  I would never call it test correction because where I am we simply don�t use that here in the same sense as you. Here, test correction means that the teacher corrects the work.  So, as you can see, the terminology matters and can mean different things in different places.

Now you probably feel more confused ... sorry.

Cheers

Jayho

10 Apr 2013     

Zora
Canada

I�d write: Correction and Class Follow up. You have corrected it, now you are following up with the correct answers with the class.

10 Apr 2013     

1    2    Next >