Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!!!    

Help!!!

butterfly.pt
Portugal

Help!!!

Dear Colleagues,

I need your help with a work I`ve to do: I`ve to list the games/activities our parents or grandparents used to play when they were kids (like hopscoth, jump rope...)

The purpose of the work is to make a Portuguese-English Dictionary.

Can you help me, pleeeeeease!!!! 

Thanks in advance for kind kind help. Cheers :)

10 Apr 2013      

edrodmedina
United States

Marbles, pitching pennies, dice, tops. How far back are we going? Ed

10 Apr 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Here are some other games and activities: hide-and-seek, tag or freeze tag, follow the leader, whittling (few people let their kids do that now!), climbing trees, building sand castles at the beach, flying kites, playing board or card games (Ed already mentioned dice), and reading books or comic books.

This makes me feel old. I �m not quite 50, but my husband and I did most of these things when we were children. And as far as I know, many American children rarely if ever do these.

10 Apr 2013     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Pick up sticks, jigsaw puzzles, building tree houses, murder in the dark, cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, pin the tail onto the donkey, leap frog etc etc.

11 Apr 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

I don �t know if this game was played in other parts of the States or the world, but when I was a kid in the 60 �s it was a very popular street game in New York. It �s called skelzies. It �s played with bottle caps and the chalk drawn board (in the middle of the street usually) that you see below. Is anyone familiar with this game???? Ed

11 Apr 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Have a look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_traditional_children%27s_games

11 Apr 2013