Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Going to and present continuous    

Going to and present continuous

russa07
Argentina

Going to and present continuous

Hi dear colleagues!I �m starting this topic because I need some teaching advice.
I understand the differences between present continuous with future time reference and going to, but I find it a bit hard to explain them to my students.
They are young adults, whose English level isn �t the best, and they are constantly thinking English in Spanish, which is their mother tongue. It is difficult for them to connect this topic with Spanish, which makes it even harder for me to explain.

I �d love to read some suggestions as to how you teach this topic, whether you play games, or use the blackboard, or some specific examples.

Thanks in advance!

Evelyn.-

26 Apr 2013      

mespada4
Spain

Hi there,
My students are Spanish ... from Spain! And they also find it hard to distinguish between these two tenses. I think a clear way to explain it is that "going to" is used for plans and intentions which will not necessarily come true, whereas The Present Continuous is for arrangements which normally involve someone else or some kind of previous arrangement,  like "I �m flying to London on July 30th", so I probably have already bought my ticket. A good way to illustrate or practise Present Cont. for future arrangements is to ask them to take a look at their diary and write real sentences, like the example above.

I hope this will help you a litatle bit. 

Cheers!

M.Pilar

26 Apr 2013