Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Wrong, wrong, wrong    

Wrong, wrong, wrong

carinita
Argentina

Wrong, wrong, wrong

Does this ever happen to you? You make a mistake in front of the students and you try to publicly acknowledge it. While you are explaing the reason why you made that mistake you say something that is incorrect again! Of course, you realize of what has happened the following day....at home. I want to cry! Cry Dead

1 May 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

I just started some new medication, and I �ve been making lots of dumb mistakes lately. If a student catches an English mistake, I usually praise him or her. The student has learned something! If I find the mistake myself, I just correct it and explain that teachers make mistakes, too. Making mistakes is a normal part of life, and an absolute necessity when learning a new language.

1 May 2013     

liza_xxx93
Russian Federation

Hi, Carnita)))
Yes, we are people, and, yes, we DO make mistakes sometimes (as for me I make a lot))))
But we even make them while speaking our own languages! It �s normal.
If I make a mistake and my pupils catch it, I sometimes say I did it intentionally to see whether they were attentive or not))) And they become soooo poud of themselves!

1 May 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

Making mistakes is part of being human. Correct yourself and remind students that even teachers make mistakes. It allows students to be ok with being human, and if we take mistakes in stride, they learn to be more risk taking. (Lets face it, them catching you in a mistake is a great learning opportunity.)

I �ve always been a TERRIBLE speller. Then I come to Singapore where everything is British spelling. I laugh off my mistakes, and remind the students that we all can �t be good at everything. After a while they usually ask me, "Teacher Daryl, is that American spelling, British spelling or Daryl spelling?" We all laugh when I sheepisly say... "Whoopsie... that �s teacher Daryl spelling. Lets fix that shall we? Who knows the proper British spelling?" Just use it as a teaching opportunity. If you don �t freak out, they won �t either.

1 May 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s part of life, carinita, don �t beat up on yourself. Recently, I thoroughly embarrassed myself by sending out an email to all members of staff (about 120 people), announcing that we had a new bot in school. Of course it should have been �boy � and bot is what you sit on!! LOL

2 May 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

I was not aware teachers had to be perfect! Wink

Who does not make mistake? I even make some in my mother tongue! I just acknowledge it, tell my students it �s human and move on. 

It can also be a great opportunity to show students why it �s important to revise your work and use resources if the mistake is a written word somewhere.

2 May 2013     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I just say "sorry", say (or write) it correctly and go on. With advanced students I just stop and ask them: "what mistake have I made?" and then: "can you correct it, please?"

We �re human beings and as a non-native I completely understand my students � difficulties and major mistakes struggling with the second language, of course because I made the same mistakes and had the same difficulties dealing with it.

We can learn from our mistakes and help the students do the same thing.

Have a nice day!

Zailda Coirano

2 May 2013     

amrodriguez
Spain

I think that you don�t have to get obssesed. It�s natural for us non native speakers to make some mistakes. We are just humans, not machines to be perfect, so just simply  tell your students  that you you have make a mistake.  Make things easy, simple and natural, and don�t worried too much about this.

2 May 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

As a native speaker I don �t never have made a mistake so I didn �t know what you are talking about. But if I ever don �t make a mistake I would just let the students know and move on. If you can use a little bit of humor that may soften the blow for you. I �m quiet sure that the student already no your human and might make mistake ounce in a whale. Ed

2 May 2013     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

LOL, Ed, love you �re cense oh humour. Thumbs Up

2 May 2013     

maryano30
Peru

Don �t worry Carinita! we are human beings and we can make a mistake. When I �ve made a mistake I ask to my Ss if there is some error for example in a sentence or I say them Sorry! but I �ve made a mistake and then I correct the error. It �s part of the life.Wink
A big hug for you! Have a nice day!Hug

2 May 2013     

1    2    Next >