Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammatically correct?    

Grammatically correct?

tech_teacher
Bahamas

Grammatically correct?

Please assist me with this...

Is this sentence correct:

... special thanks to our clerical staff who meets and greets our parents and visitors everyday.

Thanks

6 May 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

ah, it �s tricky with collective nouns... however, I doubt you mean staff here as one unit, you would rather use staff here as individuals, right?
Then it should be 
...staff who meet and greet...
Sophia

6 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

Also, you want the adverbial phrase "every day" rather than the adjective "everyday", which means "ordinary, not special".

Bruce

6 May 2013     

Apodo
Australia

If there is only one person doing clerical work then you could say:

Special thanks to our clerical staff member who meets and greets our parents and visitors every day.

or

Special thanks to our clerical assistant who meets and greets our parents and visitors every day.

7 May 2013     

Zora
Canada

The sentence is correct. AND other options stated are also correct. Smile

The word staff is like �family � or �band � and could be plural or singular depending on where you come from or how you see things. I believe in British English, they consider collective nouns as single entities while �other Englishes � see them as plural or singular depending on how they are used. 

7 May 2013