Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What would you do???    

What would you do???

LA LUNA
Mexico

What would you do???

I have a group of advanced students,. Their oral production is pretty good, most of them haven�t had  the opportunity to talk to native speakers. So here is the thing: this morning they came up with the idea of being taught bad words in English, you should  have seen my face, I just told them that was not possible, I mean, we all wouldn�t do it, would you? and not even in my mother tongue do I use bad words. One of the students said: "There is no sense in learning a language if we are not given all the information as it is in real life"... I just answered that there are many other means to know about bad words in English without being taught by me..but then I felt I little bad since I felt I was promoting the use of bad words...so what do you think about this???

27 Jan 2009      

LaSensei
Japan

Tell them to rent movies!  Tongue  They can watch them in English with English subtitles for good practice.
Tell them too that when they get older, or go to college, they will meet many native speakers who can teach them the bad words! 
I majored in Spanish and learned some of the bad words naturally just from speaking to Spanish speakers.  But you dont have to teach them the bad words if you dont want.  Dont feel pressure to do so!

27 Jan 2009     

LA LUNA
Mexico

I will do it!..thanks a lot for your help. I know it shouldn�t be such a big issue, but believe me I was feeling a little disappointed of myself,lol,lol thank you for your help LASENSEI..(I UNDERSTAND THAT "LA" ARTICLE IN YOUR nickname.))..jajajaja.MUCHAS GRACIAS!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

27 Jan 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

Mine also, a group of adults (evening lessons) have also formulated the same request a few times when discussing the linguistic needs, and I will do it, because with adults I always try to adapt ...
I just have not yet gathered all the necessary materials
By the way, if you have any tips, resources or whatsoever, please let us know

27 Jan 2009     

Camilla_2008
Brazil

Well, I had the same problem last year... and I gotta ask: How old are they?

Most of my students are over 21 years old, and they asked me the same. I feel very comfortable among them, because they are around my age, so I prepared a class material and we watched the South Park movie together... well, I can tell that the class was really great, and we had lots of fun together.

I�m sure you know your pupils very well, you know if this subject is gonna help them improve, and if they are mature enough to have a class about curse words. It�s up to you to decide, but  I think that just because they know what the words mean, it�s not like they�re gonna use them...my students don�t...

If you don�t feel comfortable doing this, you shouldn�t do it...and if you want to recommend a movie so that they can see and learn at home, I suggest the South Park movie, called Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

27 Jan 2009     

campbelldavidson
Japan

I have a class of middle aged business men and that is pretty much all they want to hear about... and funny idioms.... as far as learning language is concerned its just like a comic interlude... I obviously wouldnt teach people that stuff if there wasnt a general consensus in the room....

27 Jan 2009     

freddie
Canada

As others have said, if you dont feel comfortable, or they are not adults, dont do it of course. But here`s how I see it. We are empowering our students in English communication so not teaching some `street english` shall we call it can be disempowering. And they certainly like to learn it. But it can be uncomfortable. One sweet young and very religious woman used to listen to rap songs at home and bring in the foulest language for me to explain to her and I have to admit I just couldnt do it a few times!

27 Jan 2009     

LA LUNA
Mexico

Thanks so much teacher for helping me with this thing I considered a little hard to handle but with your precious help I know what to do now!! thanks so much from the bottom of my  heart. Greetings from Mexico!!!!!!!!

27 Jan 2009     

LA LUNA
Mexico

By the way is TEACHERSSSS!!! LOL,LOL,LOL

27 Jan 2009     

handstand
Venezuela

I think we have enough foul/hurtful language around us everyday without TEACHING it to our students. I agree that they can pick up plenty of this type of language from movies. Why not teach our students how to give compliments or how to use language to encourage and inspire rather than insult, offend or harm? This is just my two-cent�s worth.

27 Jan 2009     

cesitaluis
Argentina

what i do is to wait until they come up with such expressions (or any kind of language not included in books!) after they have heard it in a film or on tv. they ask me if it�s a dirty word and then i give them an explanation. but i wouldn�t teach such expressions just because...

27 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >