Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > is gone vs has gone    

is gone vs has gone

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

is gone vs has gone

Hi eslprintables members,

I was wondering if anyone can explain the difference between these two - �is gone � and �has gone �, and how to use them.  I understand that the difference has to do with if "gone" is used as an adjective or the past participle of "go".

I look forward to receiving your replies.

Thanks so much

Terri

15 May 2013      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Terri

Maybe it helps.

Cheers

Jayho

15 May 2013     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Thanks Jayho - I will definitely look at it.

Terri

15 May 2013     

aneliz
France

Indeed in the first expression it is more of an adjective and the general meaning is that the person will not come back.

However in the second, it is more of a current state, he/she is not here right now but he/she will be back, it is not definitive, hence the use of the present perfect in reference to the description of a present situation.

Is that the kind of help you needed?

Bye Bye

16 May 2013     

a.antonides
Spain

Goodmorning Terry, There is a difference between is and has gone. If you use �is gone �, gone is used as an adjective. The person or thing which is gone doesn �t come back. If you use �has gone �, gone is part of the present perfect, a verb. Hope this might be helpful, Anke

16 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

I could add that "is gone" is the result of "has gone".

Also, I disagree with aneliz about the person returning. There is no indication in "has gone" whether the person will be back or not. It is just a statement of what has happened. The person has left, so he or she is currently not here, with no implications about the future.

Bruce

16 May 2013     

douglas
United States

"Has gone" emphasizes the action of going and "is gone" emphasizes the state of being gone.

17 May 2013