Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Teaching 2-years-old children    

Teaching 2-years-old children

Melyssa
Brazil

Teaching 2-years-old children

Hi. I would like to know how to starting English to 2 - years- old children. Their mother language is Portuguese. How could I make the teaching interesting?
Please, give suggestions.

27 Jan 2009      

ehelland33
United States

I taught colors to 2 year olds.  A good game for them to do is touch something that is that color.  Some of them get it but others just have fun running around the room touching different things with you.  Animals and animal sounds is another fun basic thing to teach.

27 Jan 2009     

Patrick
Ireland

Hi Melyssa,
I spent a year teaching 2 year olds in Japan.

Every class was structured exactly the same,

1. alphabet song, i.e. Aa apple, Bb bear, Cc car, Dd duck,  use any tune you like, laminate an A4 sheet of paper with the alphabet i.e. pictures of an A and an apple, B and a bear etc............give one to each student, Ss sing along and touch the pictures with their finger as they go, teacher does the same. after a month or so Ss will follow.

2. Whats the weather like today, have flashcards of cloudy, sunny, etc making sound effects for each one, i.e Whooooosh for windy. lay out on the ground, tell Ss to "Touch touch sunny", Ss touch the sunny flashcard, then a big round of applause.

3. story time, read a short story to Ss, this is one to practice your upside down reading :)

4. laminate a picture of a dolls house, and move a little figure through the rooms, saying "Look, mary�s in the kitchen, knock knock, look who�s in the living room etc etc.

5. colouring in, have some crayons and a colouring in papers, "colour the pig in Green" etc...

6. Final activity, make a sun from paper plates, or make a sheep from a toilet roll and cotton balls..... you get the idea.

Very important, whatever format you choose have every class exatcly the same, (different themes of course), at this age kids love routine.

Also something I found useful, have everybody sit on cushions, not chairs... teacher included.

I hope this has helped somewhat............ good luck

27 Jan 2009     

pauguzman
Argentina

I haven�t posted the question, but I considered your suggestion very useful and interesting Patrick.
are there any more  ideas?

27 Jan 2009     

Diana Pavlenko
Russian Federation

I use baby einstein DVDs for teaching my child And he isn�t even 2 yet. He knows all the animals and numbers.

28 Jan 2009     

Melyssa
Brazil

Thank you for all the suggestions. I loved them. Melyssa.

30 Jan 2009