Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Movies about Food    

Movies about Food

EstherLee76
Peru

Movies about Food

Hi again,

Anyone have any ideas about food movies for my PET class (average age 12).  They �ve seen Ratatouille.  I think Julie/Julia and Woman on Top are too adult for them.  I �m saving Supersize Me for the advanced classes.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Esther

24 May 2013      

Doot
Canada

There is a movie called Recipe for Dysaster.  It is G rated and I show it to my grade 8 classes.  

24 May 2013     

libertybelle
United States

I usually only show 1 film per school topic.
Then I make conversation cards ,word searches, grammar exercises,
written questions and answers and  sometimes games.

I find too many films can be overwhelming for middle school kids, and they don �t really learn the vocabulary because it goes too fast in a film  -and they never really assimilate the language.

24 May 2013     

American Teacher
United States

I have my adults watch SuperSize Me and they are about 7 grade level.

24 May 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

Thanks for your suggestions!!

I use a lot of movies with my students, but I use A LOT of pre-listening before they watch segments  of the movies.  This way they understand almost everything; their listening skills improve and they are very motivated.  I am going to check out these suggestions.

Thanks again!
Esther

24 May 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

�Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs � is cute and funny.

24 May 2013     

Doot
Canada

Another good movie about a chef for grade 9 + is No Reservations.  It is a remake from the German movie Mostly Martha.  The students also like this one. Magic schoolbus also has some good ones Ready, Set Dough and Lunch which is more on digestion than food. 

24 May 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about Julie & Julia? (you should watch it yourself first to check for inappropriate scenes; it�s been a long time since I watched it so I don�t really remember:)
I also like Jamie�s Great Britain (never used it with my students though) here�s the official site for it http://www.channel4.com/programmes/jamies-great-britain (the service is not available in my country, but maybe it�s available in yours; if not, send me a pm and I�ll try to find a different link if you�re interested in the series)
Sophia

P.S. BTW HB:)

24 May 2013     

hardcase
France

There is also another good film with a very fat professor, played by Eddie Murphy - called THE NUTTY PROFESSOR, it �s very good too and funny - kids like that film (well starting 8th year)
and the film FAST FOOD NATION is interesting, for more mature students...as it treats the inside of the meat trade and market.....

Hope you find what suits you. Bye for now; regards from France

25 May 2013     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

You could try to find clips from cooking shows too - like ready steady cook or come dine with me. Jamie Oliver �s 15 or master chef (USA, Aus or Uk version).

I also am a big fan of using film in teaching as it is the media that the pupils are used to. I have before taken lines from the film that the pupils have to find while seeing the film. This hones  listening skills.

Good weekend
Cindy

25 May 2013     

pilarmham
Spain

I often use short videos in class rather than full films. I taught a unit on food recently, too, and subtitled these videos for my students (not the fourth one, which helped them talk a lot):

And these are other interesting videos we had no time to see:

Hope you find them useful!  Smile

25 May 2013     

1    2    Next >