Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Does this sentence make sense to you?    

Does this sentence make sense to you?

Oksanochka
Ukraine

Does this sentence make sense to you?

Serious doubts about claims for fusion in collapsing bubbles make a mistaken claim in any branch of science...

1) I don �t quite understand the part of the sentence in bold, it just seems very strange to me
2) Why does it say "any branch of science", if  it �s physics that deals with nuclear fusion?

It �s from this webpage:
http://www.economist.com/node/5601570

Thank you in advance for your help.
  Oksana

27 May 2013      

douglas
United States

I didn �t see the exact sentence (as you wrote it above) in the article.

Serious doubts about claims for fusion in collapsing bubbles--
someone is claiming (saying) that they can achieve fusion in collapsing bubbles--others have some serious doubts about it (they don �t believe it is true/actually works).

make a mistaken claim - a mistaken claim  (saying they can do something, but they can �t really do it--they are mistaken)

in any  branch of science- it doesn �t matter what you are researching, if others seriously doubt you (or prove you wrong) that branch becomes a pariah (very unpopular and nobody wants anything to do with it).

Overall, the sentence as written does not really make much sense, perhpas this is better:
A mistaken claim in any branch of science, for example the serious doubts about claims of fusion in collapsing bubbles, make...

27 May 2013