Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Problem with a student    

Problem with a student

rejjie
France

Hi! I teach in coll�ge near Paris. In my school we have a SEGPA. Maybe it is what this pupil needs. Rejjie

6 Jun 2013     

mariamit
Greece

HI Sara.

I �ve had many students just like you describe.  It is heartbreaking but you must remember as an educator you are not at fault.
Now I work at a school where these students are put into special programmes. We �ve had some seminars to prepare us for these students. I think the syptoms you describe sound like dysphasia- a learning disability where students have trouble with language- remembering, communicating,  etc. I agree with everyone. The child needs to be tested.

Good luck!

6 Jun 2013     

jamiejules
France

hi  there,
I have a file that you may want: I went on a speech therapy seminar in December and wrote a memo to my colleagues in french... If you want you can send me you email through a pm and I �ll send you the file.
have a good evening
Virginie aka Jamiejules

(by the way: thanks Linda for the kind words on my work....)

6 Jun 2013     

sarguero
Spain

I had a pupil with similar problems with English and Spanish (his mother tongue) and I told his parents about a test with a psicologist team that works for my city schools and all that the parents said was:  "Our son isn �t crazy, he hasn �t got any problems"

My answer was: "I do my best with your son day after day, miracles are in Lourdes and Fatima but I �m not a believer"

In short, two months later the pupil came us with a profesional diagnosis about his understanding difficulties, then I understood that sometimes parents don �t want to recognize real problems about their children and try to hide them , making our work harder.

So as the t-shirts logo said .... "Keep calm and carry on" dear teacher. Thumbs Up

7 Jun 2013     

SaraMariam
United States

Thank you so much for all your precious time and help. I really appreciate it. Sarguero, you are so right. Unfortunately, parents (or people in general) stil have a bad picture about psychologist and a wrong image about what is "normal".  I hope in the near future, they will start to recognise that psychologists or tests doesn �t mean you are crazy.

I used to have psychology as a school subject. Looking back, I think that should be a subject in every single school since it teaches you a lot about life. And I remember my psychology teacher saying, that there is no "unnormal" in the world. We don �t know through what that "unnormal" person went through (or genetic predisposition) and if we were in the same situation we would be just like him/her. So that person is just being "normal" in relation to what they have lived. Something that many people, unfortunately forget.
I always say "normal" depends even on the culture you are in. In France you might be called crazy for something and in the USA it may be totally normal, who knows ;).
Well, as we all know, educating the kids is not enough, must start with their parents first, right ;)

Have a great day and enjoy the sun.
HUgs
Sara

7 Jun 2013     

< Previous   1    2