Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > help needed!    

help needed!

aura+
Portugal

help needed!

greetings from Portugal!

I�ve been asked to write some short stories with my beginner pupils. Obviously they lack the knowledge to write them by themselves but I don�t want to cheat and write the stories for them. I know there are some sites that generate stories out of words you input. Once I came across one of these but I cannot remember its name. Can you help me? � � or...do you have any suggestions ?

thanks � and a truly wonderful day for all

Aura

28 Jan 2009      

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi,

Some years ago, I was teaching kids (9-10 years old) One of them lowed drawing. So, every lesson, they drew pictures about we had learnt. Then they wrote sentences under each picture. After a while, those pictures and sentences became real stories. They even interacted. It�s not really a short story, but it�s a start. 

28 Jan 2009     

aura+
Portugal

desperately waiting for your replies...

28 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

If they have never done it before I would start with a simple story they know in their own language, from a simple story/children�s book. You are going to do a teacher guided/modelling session.
Talk about the story/read it etc and discuss what happens etc.
Photocopy the main pictures, the children order the pictures in the sequence of what happens. But from here everything is now in english....
Then (This is the modelling part by you)

Picture one onto the board stuck to a large piece of paper with big lines underneath.
You are going to model how to write a sentence that goes with the picture.
THEY are going to give you ideas on what to write, you can mix and match ideas etc. Once the sentence is decided, YOU write it, modelling punctuation aspects. Everyone then reads it together. Its a team effort. (Lots of praise for good vocabulary ideas etc)
Picture Two: (same as pic one until you have gone though all the pics....you get the idea)....

Then staple or bind together and you have a big story book of a story that the CLASS has written...

Children then love to read through the story as a class. (And will also want to keep reading the book!!!!)

For successful future writing children need a good base lesson(s), examples and modelling by the teacher to know what to do :-) Because it doesn�t happen magically or overnight...

My next writing session I would do another one, then the next session I would give the children 3 small sequenced pictures for them to write what is happening underneath to make their own mini story book. (For lower learners just 1 picture!)

Small steps at a time so the children get a chance to be sucessful and not overwhelmed is the key! :-)

28 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I just wrote a big one but it has jumped up before you! :-)

28 Jan 2009     

Malvarosa
Spain

Hello Aura!
try this:
It�s a fairy tales generator, I hope this help you

28 Jan 2009     

aura+
Portugal

28 Jan 2009     

helena2009
Hungary