Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching adults    

Teaching adults

dmharg
Greece

Teaching adults

Hi everyone. I have to teach an adult (about 40 years old) who only wants to learn to speak English in order to be able to have a decent conversation. Any ideas about a book or a method I should use? Thank you so much in advance :)

19 Jun 2013      

Theodo
Greece

Take a look at Cambridge Face2FAce on the Cambridge university press website. There �s a great bank of resources online too.

19 Jun 2013     

JoanneJoanne
Korea, South

Hello,
I �ve been in a similar teaching situation and I used to use a book similar to �Face2Face �, as suggested Theodo. I also used a conversation book which contained a lot of conversation topics that you could talk about together. I also used an English language newspaper and we would go through the newspaper and find interesting subjects to talk about. With a class of adults I have used games. I made a set of cards that have the names of famous people on them. One person chooses a card and then they have to give hints about who the person is by describing them, or their occupation. Another activity I have done with adults is to give them the beginnings of a story and ask them to finish the story.

19 Jun 2013     

JoanneJoanne
Korea, South

If you, or anyone else, needs the beginnings of some short stories with follow-up questions please message me and I �ll send them to you. The stories that I have were not written by me so I cannot publish them in full here.
Here is an example of one of the stories (credit must be given to the auther - Kolby Granville):

The Desert

The Story:

Two men are walking in the desert. One man is happy to be in the desert, the other man is upset. After a week of walking, one of the men makes it out of the desert and into the city. When the local people ask him what happened to the other man, he lies.

Questions:

Why were the two men in the desert?

Did the happy man, or the upset man make it out of the desert?

Why did he lie to the local people?

19 Jun 2013     

Lovely Lana
Greece

Hi Despina

there are a number of books from Cambridge publishing house  (Face 2face as Theodo suggested) or Longman (Cutting Edge) or Oxford (can �t think of a book right now) that are designed for adults and are great for development of speaking skills (and not only speaking). Just choose from the units speaking and vocabulary or speaking and listening or speaking and grammar sections and here you are. From my experience, it �s very difficult and probably not very effective to focus on purely speaking skills: I mean when you just choose a topic, start a conversation and ask your student to discuss it with you - any speaking or writing, as it is production of the speech, should be based on some sort of input: vocab, listening or reading, it gives your student security+develops their vocab+ gives them ideas.  

20 Jun 2013     

Lovely Lana
Greece

JoanneJoanne, I like your ideas about the stories, I sent you a message

20 Jun 2013     

tachitorres
Albania

I also like your ideas about the stories. Have a great day!!

20 Jun 2013     

dmharg
Greece

Τhank you my friends. I think I will try with conversations, Greetings first, then in the hotel, in the restaurant...etc. I will also use a grammar book 

20 Jun 2013