Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I need your advice!    

I need your advice!

lissikomi
Русскl

I need your advice!

I have a new student. She wants to take an exam to enter university. She has 2 years to improve her English. She has been studying English for 5 years, but she can ony say Hello and answer the question: What �s your name?. What �s the level is more suitable for her: Beginner or Elementary?

12 Jul 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about a placement test?

Sophia

12 Jul 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

I would reconsider teaching this student if she only has two years before entering university and all she learned in the five previous years is to answer very basic questions indeed. Sounds like "mission impossible" and a lot of pressure and frustration ...

13 Jul 2013     

Zora
Canada

I �d go with beginner and adjust the level as needed. People who are not strong learners or have a poor base need to go over the basics and often enjoy going over stuff they already know.

Also, I agree with elderberry ... good luck, you are going to need it. Give homework, lots if necessary! Wink

13 Jul 2013     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

I think what you really want is "Adult Literacy" or "Adult Learners". And man ... I have students who at school get an hour English a day for 12 years and finally can not even answer when I ask �how are you? �. Then they come to my learning center asking for help for entrance exams and yes I am really tempted to say forget it, you wasted 12 years, dont waste mine here ...

23 Jul 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

how frustrating this must be, darryl ! An hour a day, and this is the only outcome? I wonder why this can be the case. How do they spend their daily hour in school?

23 Jul 2013