Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Hi there Moving around the classroom    

Hi there Moving around the classroom

Urpi
Peru

Hi there Moving around the classroom

Hi dear collegues how can we make our students move around the classroom. I mean what activities can promote our students to move. I will appreciate all your ideas.
Thanks so much.

14 Jul 2013      

anitarobi
Croatia

I depends a lot on their age. If they �re smaller, songs, dancing and role-play always helps. I also love sorting out games with vocabulary hidden around the classroom and then having sort of a treasure hunt for words. I have a travelling project I do with my teenage and adult students, which you can easily adapt to suit any topic you wish. The instructions are in the document and it really works, believe me. Having floor board games is also a great way to use space. You simply adapt any board game you wish by placing number cards as a path around the classroom on the floor and use students as tokens. Make a huge dice and prepare instructions for each card. Having a fun place as finish also helps - sth motivating. I once used a cool juice bottle (real juice inside, not empty) on a very hot day and my sts battled over who �d get to it first by following every instruction to the letter;)

14 Jul 2013     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Urpi! Here �s an idea!

Depending on the size of your classroom, you could set up "work stations".

You could set up a 4 station classroom, all would be working on something different, but related to the same topic. 

Station 1: Listening. Ss listen to a song and complete a fill in the blanks worksheet, or cut the strips of the song and they must order it, etc.

Station 2: Reading: Ss read and article, and complete comprehension questions, not many, so they have time to write a small paragraph of their own opinion on the topic.

Station 3: Speaking: Ss will role-play a dialogue or situation related to the topic.

Station 4: Hands-on Project. Ss will make a poster, collage, etc, they can use cut-outs, paint, etc.

This activity can be done as a "prize" once a month, once a week, or depending on what you want to accomplish. It can also be used for any age group, you just have to decide the activities depending on the group. 

Hope this idea is useful for you!

Hugs,

Mar

14 Jul 2013     

Mar0919
Mexico

Urpi, I forgot to mention something! 

You would divide the group into 4 teams, so each team is simultaneously at a station. when you buzz or signal, they switch, so that every team can get a chance to work at each station! 

14 Jul 2013     

dennismychina
China

Hi Urpi,

Find the other half (Of a conversation) works pretty well.

Split a short dialogue onto two cards and give each student a card. The ss must then walk around the classroom asking different ss questions until they find their �other half�.

eg.

My bathroom taps are always leaking. / My landlord never repairs anything.

Lake Malawi has a wonderful bass fishing competition. / Yes I know. I took part in it last year but I didn�t catch many.

It works well with telephone conversation

Such as:

Hello Mr. Jenkins, is Lucy in please? / I�m afraid not, she and her dad went shopping.

I�d like to speak to Ms. McAlister please. / Hold on I�ll connect you.

(TIP. If you do do this, make sure you mark the back of the cards in such a way that after the exercise you can marry the cards again. But not so simply that the ss can easily find the mate. Ie. A1 / A2 � B1 / B2 etc Ermm.)

Enjoy.

15 Jul 2013