Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > FIRST WEEK AT SCHOOL    

FIRST WEEK AT SCHOOL

SusanBrown
Netherlands

FIRST WEEK AT SCHOOL

29 Jan 2009      

libertybelle
United States

A question for you.

Don�t you have a curriculum from the dept. of Education which tells all the teachers what subjects, themes and projects that you should be working on with your age groups?
And a guideline of what each group should be accomplished in before moving up to the next grade?  A guideline eliminates the problem of some children getting a better education than others, because of where they live. This way children in rural areas are taught the same or pretty much the same curriculum as city children.

There is also a big difference between 13 year olds and 17 year olds.
I work with themes. The older groups work with problems in the world today such as:

Ecology
Teen problems
Drugs and Alcohol
Religious cults
Racism and prejudice
Challenges
Young people and gangs
Young People in other English speaking countries and more.

I find/make worksheets, borrow books, use a course book,
show films, do in depth studies with texts
which I also use for grammar purposes too.

My students work in groups, discuss, make posters, films, power points, essays, poems - what ever works.

9th graders here should be able to read difficult texts, analyze texts, write 2 page essays, know the most important grammatical expressions and use them in both oral and written English.
They should be able to speak and understand English and use figures of speech.

Most important - they should be able to communicate.

Hope this helps
L

29 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Well, I guess I don�t have that problem.

And I don�t know what you mean.

I don�t think teachers are entertainers who have to win over their
students. We�re there to give them an education which hopefully
will give them opportunities to do what they love and are good at in the future.
We�re there to give kids the chance to NOT live on welfare or poverty.

I think it�s an important point to make to these kids.
Hey, if they don�t want to work hard to have a better future, that�s their choice.

That�s my opinion. 

Liberybelle

29 Jan 2009     

julicassol
Brazil

I think it is nice to start the year with a song... you can explore the message of the song, some vocabulary and the love, because in February it�s valentine day... it apropriat to talk about differences of dates and the costums. Then, you can use a crossword, wordsearch, or other activites related. In this site there are a lot of samples of valentines activities...

I like this idea,
kisses

29 Jan 2009