Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Weddings in UK, USA    

Weddings in UK, USA

monder78
Poland

Weddings in UK, USA

Hi there I am wondering if there are civil marriages ( only in a registry office) in the UK and USA ? Can we say take civil marriage ? The phrase seems to me akward. I �ve come across such a sentence : The priest officiated Mary and Tom last Sunday. Is is correct ? Is it formal ? Can we say give sb a wedding ( the idea here is that a priest pronounces 2 people a husband and a wife)) Thanks in advance for your kind help. H&K

18 Jul 2013      

douglas
United States

a priest "weds" somebody or "does the ceremony"

here is something on "civil weddings":

I also remember calling them a "Justice of the Peace wedding" in the USA back in the 60s-70s (don �t know how current that term is now).

edit:  when I think about it we do also say the priest "marrys" somebody (thanks Alex)

18 Jul 2013     

alexcure
Poland

Look at the Oxford Dictionary of Collocations entries for �marriage�, �wedding�, �ceremony�:

At home I use The BBI collocations dictionary, a great tool ;-) (http://benjamins.com/#catalog/books/z.bbi/main, BTW here�s a very interesting workbook you can use with your students and the BBI Combinatory Dictionary of English: http://benjamins.com/jbp/series/Z/bbi/workbook.pdf)

PS. I�ve heard my friend from the UK saying: "I was not sure if the priest could marry us as we ... blablabla...." 

18 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

Here are my US answers:

No, you don �t "take" marriage.

They were married by a Justice of the Peace.
They were married in a civil ceremony.
They had a civil ceremony.
You can say "They were civilly married" or "They were married civilly", but that isn �t common.

No, the priest didn �t "officiate Mary and Tom". The priest officiated at Mary and Tom �s wedding, or, as Alex said and Douglas agreed, The priest married Mary and Tom. This is talking about the priest more than about the wedding.

No, to "give somebody a wedding" would be to pay for it and make all the arrangements, just like to "give somebody a birthday party".

Bruce

18 Jul 2013     

FrauSue
France

The verb "marry" can be a cause of confusion: The priest married his daughter today can mean either that he officiated at her wedding, or that some sort of illegal ceremony took place! Quite a few jokes and riddles are based around this.

In the UK, people often talk about having a registry office wedding or getting married in a/the registry office. This suggests a civil as opposed to a religious ceremony.

A civil partnership ceremony is currently the option available to homosexual couples in the UK, but legally it is not the same as a registry office wedding.

19 Jul 2013     

monder78
Poland

Many thanks to all of you

19 Jul 2013     

monder78
Poland

Many thanks to all of you for your helpful answers

19 Jul 2013