Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word Of The Day...    

Word Of The Day...

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Word Of The Day...

Thanks to Sophia for choosing my contribution to W.O.D. Here �s the new one, and please remember that the real definition is not the goal. Let �s have your ESLP-style definitions please. I am looking forward to your suggestions, especially as I now know (just checked) the real meaning of this word, which is apt for this activity. "adoxography".

21 Jul 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

a: one
dox(y): a "loose woman"
-ography: writing

So adoxography is a written work dedicated to a woman who gets around. The song "Roxanne" by the Police is an excellent example of adoxography.

21 Jul 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Adoxography: Medical condition for wives who make "Do you...?" questions again and again.

uxor: Latin for wife.

21 Jul 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s the term for the art of using hugs and kisses (oxo) imagery (graphy) in ads:)

Sophia

22 Jul 2013     

gscott1979
China

I was gonna say my idea but think Sophia �s is already too good!

But here �s mine anyway:

to suddenly take photos of people who aren �t prepared

22 Jul 2013     

douglas
United States

I was just sitting here trying to properly formulate the same thought that Sophia has so effectively relayed.  

So here is my second choice:

ado- fuss about something unimportant

xo--hugs and kisses

graphy-- imagery

adoxography- big fuss over pictures/videos of people hugging and kissing.

"There was much adoxography in the press about Madonna kissing Britney Spears on stage."

22 Jul 2013     

florimago
Spain

A: one , doxo: Opinion (from the Greek) , graphy: Suffix denoting a process of drawing, writing, representing something So " Adoxography" is writing or drawing an opinion, that is, it�s referring to the widepread use of emoticons to show our point of view or mood. Crystal clear!!!

22 Jul 2013     

Mar0919
Mexico

Adoxography: Fancy way of calling a duck �s xrays! 

Adox = a duck �s
A = one
Graphy = imagery

22 Jul 2013     

anitarobi
Croatia

Sophia, have you got any examples of that art?Wink I �d love to see some! Hope it comes in 3D as well.Clap

22 Jul 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

"adult" cartoons (x-rated)

22 Jul 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

adoxography... the biography of a dog.

22 Jul 2013     

1    2    Next >