Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > sharing a great site    

sharing a great site

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

sharing a great site

The Tar Heel Reader 
http://tarheelreader.org/

The Tar Heel Reade is a "collection of free, easy-to-read books" for "beginning readers of all ages."
 It provides features allowing users to "publish" a book, illustrated with uploaded photos, scanned images, or digitized clipart.

5 Aug 2013      

anaisabel001
Spain

Thank you ! 

5 Aug 2013     

alexcure
Poland

Very interesting, thank you for sharing it!

5 Aug 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I feel embarrassed that I didn �t know about this site before. Although I didn �t see any information, it appears to be affiliated with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. (The icon is a picture of the Old Well, and the university guards that image well.) For those who don �t know the Tar Heel reference, North Carolina is the Tar Heel state, and the name of the sports teams at UNC-CH is the Tar Heels.

How did my state get such an odd nickname? Well, a lot of it has to do with the fact that North Carolina was (and still is) a major source for pine products such as pitch, turpentine, and yes, tar. ("Here �s to the land of the long leaf pine" is the first line of our state song.) During the American Civil War, North Carolina soldiers fought well, even though North Carolina was one of the last southern states to secede. People said they fought like they had tar on their heels, and the name stuck.

The site looks very interesting, and it �s nice that individuals can submit their own work. Thank you!

5 Aug 2013     

domif
France

Thank you so much for sharing! Interesting site ! Have a nice evening

5 Aug 2013     

alexcure
Poland

Thank you MoodyMoody for your interesting explanation, in fact I was wondering why the site is called Tar Heel Reader...

5 Aug 2013     

johanne23232
Israel

Thanks so much for letting us know about this site, it would be great to have students write their own books as a class project! 

5 Aug 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Johanne: mind that the site is meant for adults to post their work so, if you want to use it for a class project, they request of you to carefully proofread your students � work before publishing it. You wouldn �t want any mistakes or typos to slip in, would you?
Sophia

6 Aug 2013     

johanne23232
Israel

Dear Sophia, yes of course you �re right. It would have to be for excellent work only.

7 Aug 2013     

maestralidia
Italy

really an interesting site. thks. Lidia

7 Aug 2013