Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Fun way to teach comparitives and superlatives.     

Fun way to teach comparitives and superlatives.

pameladion24
Canada

Fun way to teach comparitives and superlatives.

Students seem to have trouble especially with superlatives.To get it really registered in their minds. I use a gum experiment. This may sound crazy, but believe me, it works!

I buy pakages of different kinds of gum: Dentene, Bazooka, Juicy Fruit, etc. I create teams, then we chew and blow bubbles! Students measure their bubbles with their ruler and use graph paper to write down results:

Examples:

The Juicy Fruit bubble was larger than the Bazooka bubble but the Detene bubble was the largest. The smallest bubble was the Bubble King. The most enormous was the Trident, etc.  

I also get sudents to regroup their results in a graph or chart they create, therefore, they also learn organizational strategies. 

We have a lot of fun each year doing this! Just make sure you collect the gum at the end of class so they aren �t chewing in another class!

You can even introduce the scientific method if you teach intensive classes to help out the schoolroom teacher in science which they teach in grade 5 and 6.

Hope this inspires you,

Naomi fom Quebec, Canada

9 Aug 2013      

helena2009
Hungary

Wow, here is a very good idea again.
I am sure my students will love it!
Thank you very much.

H.

10 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom