Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > punctuation    

punctuation

cronih2510
Chile

punctuation

I have a question, could you help me?

I am working  on a way to teach the importance of punctuation, what do you think of  this text? does it sound weird?

I leave all my belongings to my daughter Jenny. never to my mi daughter Carmen. 
neither  It will be given to Johanna that is my will

1) I leave all my belongings: to my daughter jenny. never, to my mi daughter Carmen
neither, It will be given to Johanna, that is my will

2)I leave all my belongings: to my daughter Jenny. never, to my mi daughter Carmen.,
neither  It will be given to Johanna, that is my will

3) I leave all my belongings to my daughter Jenny, never to my mi daughter Carmen ,
neither  It will be given to Johanna, that is my will

Can you think of a way the three sisters get it ?

I leave all my belongings: to my daughter Jenny. never, to my mi daughter Carmen. neither,  It will be given to Johanna not ever, to the three of them that is my will

Hugs

22 Aug 2013      

tashaleks
Spain

Ummm, it �s a bit confusing if what you want is to make it clear that all three girls receive something in the will.

You �ll have to tweak it by taking out the never, the neither and the not ever.

(I leave all my belongings to my daughters Jenny, Carmen and Johanna).

There �s a great book called Eats, Shoots and Leaves which really illustrates the importance of punctuation. Look it up!

A panda eats, shoots and leaves.   <----- the panda has a meal, fires a gun and then goes
A panda eats shoots and leaves.    <----- the panda eats bamboo shoots and tree leaves.

There are loads of other great examples in the book.

:)

23 Aug 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I leave all my belongings: to my daughter Jenny - never, to my daughter Carmen neither. It will be given to Johanna, that is my will.

Just google "commas are/punctuation is important" and you �ll get plenty of ideas and laughs:)

@tashaleks: love the panda sentence:)
Sophia

23 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Here �s another, very short and makes the point.
Quick, let �s eat grandma.

23 Aug 2013     

Apodo
Australia

I leave all my belongings not just to my daughter Jenny, nor to my daughter Carmen, nor even to my daughter Joanna, but to all three.

23 Aug 2013     

cronih2510
Chile

The idea is that just by changing punctuation, the will goes to different people, none or all of them

23 Aug 2013