Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Game to introduce: "Whose"    

Game to introduce: "Whose"

wiostahi
Peru

Game to introduce: "Whose"

HI :) to all Tongue
I was reviewing material for my class about :"whose"
This class is for children about 9 to 11 so I was wondering how to introduce this new topic.

Although I used to prepare my classes based on a book (backpack), It is not very helpful in this issue so I came across this idea and I wanted to share with you all maybe together we can make it even better:

- since children love to colour I gave each children a piece of paper in blank, then each one choose a chalk (I presented them in a variety of colours).

- After each one chose their chalk I asked them to draw an animal .

- when their drawing were ready I asked them to show their drawing to the class (but just for some minutes)

- then I collected all the papers. so this is when the game started....once I got all the papers I started to show them one by one and asking:

* whose ........(drawing, picture, animal, paper)...... is this?
they push their memories to the limit and they also had fun while looking at the classmates drawings.

the students loved it, and they learnt in a funny way to make question with Whose and also you can give then an specific topic to draw so you can review vocabulary besides memory.

29 Jan 2009      

class centre
Belarus

Hi there!
A good game, isn�t it? I use to do the same but with the hats. When they answer, say, John�s and it is not - we put the hat on John�s head and there�s no limit to their laughter...
Besides, they can try to guess whose hat it is sitting back to the hats I pick and ask...
Anyway, it�s always good to have fun and invisibly for the sts insert some samples into their memory... next time I will try the pictures. The idea is great!
Good luck!

29 Jan 2009     

blizzard1
Denmark

It sounds like a great and fun idea.
I just have to try it with my ss.

Cheers

29 Jan 2009     

puspita
Indonesia

What I did was borrowing some items (pencil, pen, etc) from my students and put them all in a box.  Then, I redistributed the items back to the students making sure that none of the item went back to the original owner..  some students didn�t get any, though. 
After that, I asked the students to give back the items to their original owner by asking questions:
      �Is this yours?� and �Whose.. (pencil) is this?�
Their friends should answer:
      �Yes, it�s mine. Thanks.� or �No, it isn�t mine. Maybe it�s hers/his.� or just �Sorry, it�s not mine.�
It was a bit chaotic, but fun; as I �encouraged� them (who gave answers) to guess who the rightful owner was.

ps.
-to make sure that students do not get their own belongings, divide the box into rows according to rows in class.  Therefore, row 1 is given to students sitting in row 2, 3, etc.
-move around to check. don�t play the game too long, they may cheat.

29 Jan 2009     

SusanBrown
Netherlands

WOW. Very well done. I liked this idea. Thanks for sharing it.hugs suzana

29 Jan 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Other possibility:

Ask your students to give you something (a pencil, a pen, a rubber, a book, etc). As you receive the object you show it to all the class checking vocabulary if necessary (good opportunity to use adjectives) and put it in a bag.

Once you have finished each of them take one object from the bag and guesses "whose it is".

Optional (depending on the number of students and time you have): after doing so., he addresses the st he thinks is the owner and asks him/her:
"Is this yours?"
"Yes, it is (mine)"/"No, I think it is X�s"
and so they go on until finding the real owner and thus practicing poss pronouns, too)

29 Jan 2009     

Andreia Henrique
Portugal

LOVED your idea!

Thank You Glitter Graphics

29 Jan 2009     

wiostahi
Peru

thank you all :) you ideas were great, :)

29 Jan 2009     

cesitaluis
Argentina

can�t wait to try it!!! thanx.. a lot! ;)

29 Jan 2009