Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "the" before ordinal numbers    

"the" before ordinal numbers

caro21sch
Argentina

"the" before ordinal numbers

Hi everyone! I would like to ask you when we are expected to write "the" before the ordinal number. Thank you!

25 Sep 2013      

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

As far as I know, there are no times when you would not use "the" with ordinal numbers, at least grammatically speaking. I may be mistaken but I think... as any ordinal number shows something that is unique, we would use the "unique THE" (there is only one of it). Take the 4th turning on the left" and not "Take a 4th turning on the left" etc. However, if we do not use a noun following it, but it follows a verb... we can say e.g. "He came 5th" (in the race), or "I was born first". I am sure there are other circumstances in which the rule might change, but I hope this helps for a start (and I hope I am not in error).

25 Sep 2013     

yanogator
United States

Not entirely correct, Matthew. I immediately thought of "Would you like a second piece of pie?". That �s the only exception that comes to mind, though.

Bruce

26 Sep 2013     

PhilipR
Thailand

After having killed two bystanders, a third innocent person was shot.

The rules for using THE before an ordinal number are the same as the rules for using definite articles in general (when you know what you are referring to, when there is only one, etc.).

26 Sep 2013     

Jayho
Australia

This link might help:

26 Sep 2013