Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > teaching a dialogue    

teaching a dialogue

najati
Jordan

teaching a dialogue

Hi,I need some ideas and techniques for teaching a dialogue thanks for your help

30 Sep 2013      

silvia.patti
Italy

What do you mean with "teaching a dialogue"? Have your students to study it by heart? I use my CD in class twice, the first time to have a general comprehension, then I ask some questions, the second time to focus on the pronunciation; after that my students read the dialogue in class (they have to role a character), and at home they have to listen and read the dialogue again.

30 Sep 2013     

najati
Jordan

Hi,SILVIA This exactly what I want the procedures for teaching a dialogue.Thanks so much

30 Sep 2013     

Vivian Bacchin
Brazil

One technique I made up to practice dialogues works quite well, as long as it is a dialogue between two characters only:
1) Go to Page Layout in Word and set your document to landscape format (instead of portrait, which is usually the standard position)
2) Write the dialogue in a bigger font (such as Times New Roman 36) and centralized.  Preferably each character �s speech should fill a single line.
3) Cut out the lines.
4) Distribute the lines to the students and ask them to try to organize the dialogue according to context.  Tell them what the first line is.
5) Check to see if the order is correct.  If it is, choose two students to read the dialogue out loud. Then, fold each line in half and lay the dialogue out on the table again, so that only the first half of each sentence shows.
6) Encourage volunteers to read the dailogue in full, completing from memory the missing half.
7) When they manage to do that, turn the paper halves, so that the end of each line, instead of the beggining, shows. Ask two otehr volunters to read the dialogue.
After so much effort and so many repetitions, usually students learn the whole dialogue by heart! 
* It is very important for the dialogue to be centralized because only when you do so exactly half of the sentence shows when you fold the lines.  

30 Sep 2013     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

@ Vivian - great idea -definitely going to use that one!

Thanks,

Terri

30 Sep 2013