Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > 10 grammar rules you can forget...    

10 grammar rules you can forget...

almaz
United Kingdom

10 grammar rules you can forget...

Interesting article on grammar shibboleths:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/30/10-grammar-rules-you-can-forget (edited: thanks, Peter!)

5 Oct 2013      

Peter Hardy
Australia

Sorry to say that the link didn �t work. A quick search gave the following link: (spot the difference :-) http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/30/10-grammar-rules-you-can-forget

5 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Got that now, Peter, thanks.

This writer needs to be told that �whom � has had its day, it �s as dead as a parrot in a Monty Python sketch. And he finds �This is the house which Jack built � acceptable. Mmm. It made me laugh. And he is taking this lazy, trendy route of �Yeah, double negatives, Chaucer used them, so it must be OK. � Yuck. And so on. What a fusspot.

@Almaz - well, what did you expect from me?

6 Oct 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

@Peter: dash it all, thanks! It �s fixed now.

@cunliffe: I think I know what you �re trying to say. I �m sure the author will thank you for bravely taking what he says about �whom � to its logical conclusion (he starts the section with "The use of whom...is dying out. It sounds affected and stiff..."). I have no idea what the rest of your post is supposed to mean, but here �s John McIntyre �s take on the same article: 

He �s the former president of the American Copy Editors Society (a well-known den of lazy trendies).

6 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Most of the �rules � ( the author �s italics, meant to subtly show us his scant regard for them) are long gone. Split infinitives - we were consigning them to history when I was at school, back in The Punic Wars. And not starting sentences with conjunctions, oh my, what a revolutionary that guy is, telling us not to worry about that! And so on... 

And my head is still very much on. 

Anyway, Almaz, thank you for these links, which never fail to wind me up.

6 Oct 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Oh, you �ll love this then! There are loads of links within this link: 
(re restricted/defining/integrated relative clauses)

Big smile

6 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh God Almaz, I �ll need beta blockers after these. LOL

6 Oct 2013