Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > TEACHING SONGS TO YOUNG LEARNERS - HELP    

TEACHING SONGS TO YOUNG LEARNERS - HELP

BEA.
Belgium

TEACHING SONGS TO YOUNG LEARNERS - HELP

Hi friends!

I would like to know if you could give me some ideas for teaching songs to young learners (6-7 years old).. I feel it is so difficult to teach them songs, they become very noisy, they move all around the classroom....

Maybe could you suggest some games to play while singing...

All ideas are very welcome!

Thanks

31 Jan 2009      

Apryll12
Hungary

Hi Bea,

I used to teach young children and I did the following not only with songs but with chants or words as well: When we have learnt the song we sang it in different ways, first: whispering, second: like a bear, next: like a little mouse, then: shouting, etc. They really liked it and somehow they got a little organised.

Hope it helped :)

Regards,

Krisztina

31 Jan 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I also teach that age group and they can�t sit still for a long period of time. That�s how they are at that age. They need to move.
As for songs:
-Wheels on the Bus, Old McDonalds, Five Little Monkeys, Ten In a Bed (Roll Over), Going to the Zoo, Sally the Camel, Hokey Pokey, Looby Loo, Mulberry Bush are all songs that work very well with my students.

31 Jan 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

check out www.supersimplesongs.com and just watch some of their videos. (you don�t have to buy the CDs) I use these all the time and the kids love them.
Hope this helps but my kids are a bit younger..... Take care Yeti xx

31 Jan 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Your problem is a little bit strange to me because children at that age LOVE action songs and they are always engrossed in them. Maybe it�s the way you present them to the children. Check the site that yetigumboots suggested. I loved "What do you want for Christmas". You can see the way the singer involves the children and then you can use it in your own classroom.

Also, i don�t know what �noise� you complained about, whether the noise they made because of disinterestedness or the noise (i.e. loudness) while singing the song. The latter is desirable and advisable if you want your class to be a success.

31 Jan 2009     

kotya
Russian Federation

Hi

Try to act the song because children realy like it . (thay do what you say, it is a good way to organize them)

31 Jan 2009     

ctzsln
Turkey

hi, things that motivate children also work. I say them �I will choose the one who sings the song best the mcqueen, (spider man, bugs bunny , etc )   of the class.� Also we say in different versions screaming, whispering like Krisztina and it really works

31 Jan 2009     

laubeco
Spain

www.supersimplesongs.com is the answer!!!!

31 Jan 2009     

Paola_
Argentina

Hi BEA.!

Some time ago, I came across this site in You Tube and I recommended it to one of the teachers at the institute where I used to work.
I think you�ll like it and find it very useful!
Good luck! Wink

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyRossPreschool

31 Jan 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

Hello!

I also teach students with that age and, for my experience, I can tell you that singing songs is one of the best ways I found for them to remember what I want to teach them!

They remember the target language much better than if I told them simply the sentences or vocabulary!

As kotya has already said, try to act the song. At that age (and with any group age, I think) there are students who catch the song more easily than others or are more ashamed to sing. Making gestures while you sing is a great option for many reasons:

- You can involve all the students (even the ones who can�t sing very well or are a bit ashamed can always participate by doing the actions)

- They can better remember what do the words they are singing mean because of the gestures.

- It�s more fun than simply singing! The more silly gestures you make, the more fun it will be for them and the more involved they will be!

With "The Wheels on the Bus" you can make a living Bus with students (like a train) and sing while "driving" through the classroom. They are moving, but with a purpose and they are making what you say (hopefully Wink).

You must try to involve them as much as you can while singing, you must make them like what they are doing. It�s half way for making them become quiet. (I also have a very noisy class, so I understand your problem).

Sometimes this also works: everybody is standing up while singing and making the gestures. If someone missbehaves, you tell them they must sit down and they aren�t allowed to sing or do anything more during that lesson. If they are enjoying to sing and participate, they will try to behave.

I hope some of these ideas are useful!

Good luck!

Kita

31 Jan 2009     

Daidougei Dave
Japan

Here in Japan, my English teaching company was teaching things like Old McDonald and so on, and the kids were just, like "Uh..."  because these songs aren�t made for children learning English, they�re made for kids who are native speakers!

So then I bought Genki English (www.genkienglish.com) CDs and they have been wonderful.  You can listen to song samples online and on youtube.  The song needs to be simple, it needs to repeat, and it needs to have the grammar topic included in an easy-to-understand format.  I use it almost every day!

1 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >