Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > English for children    

English for children

silvia.patti
Italy

English for children

I have been asked to teach English to 6-10 years old pupils in the afternoon for an hour and half. I �m starting next Tuesday but I need some ideas to use with the whole group, something not too easy (as the older could get bored) nor too difficult (the younger could be frustrated). What should I do?
I thought to introduce myself and then the children at their turn, then play "capture the flag" to revise numbers.
Do you have any ideas? Thanks

12 Oct 2013      

anitarobi
Croatia

It would help if you chose a story to work on. Choose your topic and then look for a story which could engage them all. This way you can do all sorts of team, group and pair work activities, all kinds of games (true/false, what can you remember, role play, who said what), make a poster about the story with children �s illustrations, have them fill in the key words, etc. The younger ones can match illustrations with words and the older ones can then make sentences using those words. Pairing them up younger+older is motivating, because the younger ones want to please their �mentor � and try harder, and the older ones feel responsible, so they work harder and help more. If the story can be linked to a song, you could even teach them a song and let them think of a coreography. You can even prepare small cards for them to make word memory cards - you let them choose the words and write on pairs of cards and then play with those words. There are also nice stories that have short videos of them on youtube. My students love guessing what �s going to happen next when we read stories. Hope this helps.

12 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

some tips on multi-level groups here

some older posts on teaching young learners here

12 Oct 2013