Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Harry Potter divided by a common language    

Harry Potter divided by a common language

almaz
United Kingdom

Harry Potter divided by a common language

Is it really worth the effort to edit Harry Potter for US readers?

18 Oct 2013      

Claunika
Argentina

Thanks! Very interesting work. It reminded me of Wilde �s quote:

We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language.
�Oscar Wilde (1854-1900), The Canterville Ghost 1882

18 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s great! I knew there was a different title for one of them, but I didn �t realise it went as far as this. I �m really going to enjoy having a good look at this.

I speak as one who has read the first Harry Potter in Latin (..ahem, well, the first page. Must get back to it.). 

Thanks for the link.Clap

18 Oct 2013     

maryse pey�
France

I would like to underline that being able to read a book in the language it was written in is a real pleasure ! How I would like to speak more languages !

I have the chance to speak Italian and French. That �s why I was able to compare the British version (the original one), the American version, the French version and the Italian version...
The French translator made, in my humble opinion, a great work when trying to respect the original text. Of course he had to "betray" some words but I think the French version is readable.

But the Italian version !!!!! I was horrified ! Where was Rowling �s humor ? Where was her story ??? I didn �t enjoy this version at all !

Well, I �ll look at the link you give because I �m greatly interested in the difficulties of translation...

Hugs to all.

18 Oct 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

As an American, I think "Americanizing" the language here is really ridiculous!  How are students going to cope with Shakespeare, Chaucer, etc. if books have to be made easier for them?  (Of course, it �s more profitable this way, I �m sure.)
It �s regrettable how intolerant we are of anything that we not used to.  I think even "Bob the Builder" comes with 2 accents - British and American.  Argh!

18 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree that when it comes to Shakespeare, NOTHING should be changed. The beauty is not in anything other than the language. The plots, the characters... mundane ( I �m prepared to be shot down here), but the language.... sublime. That �s the point of Shakespeare. 

But I feel that �Americanising � Harry Potter is just a bit of fun. 

18 Oct 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

i agree with Elaine / EstherLee76, yet I think this document is actually a great teaching tool!

we �re always trying to teach Br. English AND AM. English (have got vs have, like + V-ing vs like + V etc.) and where can you a better document than this one???
Even I tend to get confused, not really bothering to check if I used Br. or Am. spelling when I write an email etc... - although I try to check the documents I give  my pupils, especially they "take place" in a specific country...

But let �s be honest, Americans are allowed to change their language, because languages are always evolving - we �re all glad no one no longer writes or speaks the way they did when Shakespeare was alive, right? - and French-speaking people are no exception: i �m pretty sure if you asked me, a Canadian and an Algerian etc... to write the same text in French, we would write 3 different text, with different words, different spelling etc. :)

18 Oct 2013     

libertybelle
United States

I saw a list of differences online at one of those Harry Potter sites years ago.

Regarding your post: to be honest - these books are written for children.

Harry Potter books changed the world of reading. If you all remember - getting kids to read back then was a pain.

Who would have imagined that children would line up outside bookstores waiting for the release of the newest book? - not many teachers at that time could have imagined it - but it happened.............so my point?

I doubt a young American child knows that a fringe are bangs and not little twisted pieces of cotton that hang on a Surrey. (Oklahoma musical song- Surrey with the fringe on top)

If changing some of the different expressions/words helps a child to read, then I am all for it.

We�re talking children�s books here, people - NOT Shakespeare.

It �s all about motivating and getting kids to read.
That, in my opinion, is what teaching is all about.

18 Oct 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

You have a great attitude Lynne.  Thanks.

18 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I must admit, I am a Potter-phile, so I was pleased to see Almaz �s link. They came out when my lads were just at the right age, 9 and 7. We went on holiday after the third book and my boys brought all three to re-read them. I thought, �I �ll just have a look at the first chapter to see what all the fuss is about � and that was it! My holiday reading was put to one side and I read the Harry Potters! I also loved the films, but I have got a soft spot for Alan Rickman (Professor Snape). He played the sheriff of Nottingham in �Robin Rood:Prince of Thieves �. I cannot believe that Maid Marian did not swoon at the sight of him and went for the insipid Robin instead! WinkWhat a gorgeous-looking bloke! Apparently very bumptious and self-important in real life, though. Hasta la vista!
Go on, let�s have a treat! Just for the ladies - here he is.

19 Oct 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

Even better.  Here he is in Truly, Madly, Deeply.

19 Oct 2013     

1    2    Next >