Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I need your advice!    

I need your advice!

lissikomi
Русскl

I need your advice!

A great comet is indeed a noble sight when seen in a truly clear, dark sky - though it is nowhere as bright or prominent as implied by such sturtling old descriptions as blazing sword.
Why do we say "when seen" here?
The tail, which may be narrow or wide, long or short, issues from the coma and usually is brightest nearest the head, gradually dimming to invisibility along lts length.
Why do we say "nearest" here?

25 Oct 2013      

ELOJOLIE274
France

when seen = when you can see it / when it is visible/seen etc...

nearest = the tail is brighter near the head (the comet) - see picture below

25 Oct 2013     

lissikomi
Русские

I have meant from the point of grammar. Why are we using Participle 2 in the 1st sentence with when? And why are we using "nearest" without article the and why is the noun "the head" following after it?

26 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

"nearest" is an adverb here, you could ask yourself a question, "where is the tail brightest?" - "It �s brightest nearest the head."

as to when+participle, it �s a participle clause

Here�s a reference for you:

So, in summary, in English, participle clauses are mainly used in writing in order to put a lot of information into one sentence.

When shortening or combining clauses with a participle construction, keep the followingrules in mind:

• Both clauses -  99% of the times � have the same subject.
  • The less important part becomes the participle clause. Important information should always be in the main clause.
  • Make sure, you use the correct participle form (see above).
  • The conjunctions as, because, since and relative pronouns who, which are left out.
  • The conjunctions before, when are used in the participle clause.
  • The conjunctions after, while can be used or left out.

It�s very important to remember that participle clause and main clause should have the same subject. Otherwise the sentences might sound rather strange.

26 Oct 2013