Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Future Simple Question    

Future Simple Question

FrauSue
France

I agree, though, that "Don �t make so much noise; you �re going to wake up the baby!" is also acceptable in UK English at least. For me, "you �re going to" suggests that the baby is starting to look a bit restless, whereas "you will" might be a more general fear based on past experience.

4 Nov 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

You will, you �re going to!!!!!!     Me, I would use both.
Sometimes we worry too much about what it is or isn �t according to grammar. At the end of the day a native speaker can �t tell you why but they sure do use this!
I have met students whose only English has come from movies and they speak and write very well.
As teachers we need to develop this instinct in our students. If it sounds right it probably is right! Provide many, many listening and reading opportunities and help them to discover patterns for themselves!

4 Nov 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

If it �s any help, Sophia, Quirk and Greenbaum refer to will as "the closest approximation to a colourless, neutral future". It tends to be used modally (we don �t know that the baby is going to wake up because of the noise, but it �s very possible), so has the character of a prediction (of a possible future). On the other hand, be going to + infinitive denotes "future fulfilment of the present" which suggests that an event is �on the way �(eg When are you going to get married? or It �s going to rain).

4 Nov 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thank you, Joy and Sue, for your contribution to the discussion.
@Alex: of course it helps a lot, thank you, especially for the "event is on the way" for going to, that �s a great way of putting it!

Sophia

4 Nov 2013     

tancredo
Portugal

I think you can use "Will" because it is something that, at that precise moment, you thought could happen.

A simpler, effective sentence?

Maybe "Shut up, or you �ll have to take care of the baby when he wakes up!!"

4 Nov 2013     

< Previous   1    2