Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Worksheets previews that don´t look like the original documents !!    

Worksheets previews that don´t look like the original documents !!

martik
United States

Worksheets previews that don´t look like the original documents !!

Why is it that some worksheet previews don�t look like the original documents? I uploaded some documents even twice ,thinking that I was doing something wrong. But it always showed a different preview, ( pictures out of place, lines cut, distorted pictures etc..) The funny thing is that I downloaded one of my own worksheets and it looked perfect. But you don�t see the real document until you do this!! I�m afraid some of my worksheets are not being downloaded because of this. We put a lot of time and work to create this activities for them to look distorted and useless in the previews and therefore they are not being used by others.

Please let me know if I�m doing something wrong or if someone should do something to help us out here!! Thanks a lot..

2 Feb 2009      

LadyJaneC
United States

I had the same problem with my Animal Alphabet Letters. I have used a very cute font, but it looks to be so plain in the preview. I would appreciate if any of you that have downloaded my letters could tell me if the font is correct or not.

Thanks

2 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

You should read the following discussion.

The last post is a little about how fonts work.

Cheers. 

2 Feb 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

This has been a recurring problem for some worksheets which started soon after the site was started.  Fortunately it does not happen so regularly, but maybe because of the amount of worksheets uploaded is increasing then this problem may occur more regularly than before.

The strange thing is though, that (as far as I am aware) in every case, the view looks strange, but the downloaded file is perfectly okay.

There is obviously some small �glitch� in the system causing this, and I wonder if Victor, who I assume reads all this stuff we put on his website, can find some form of commonality why certain documents don�t preveiw correctly and others do.

Obviously he does not have the time to go through every contribution and find which worksheets have this problem. 

Maybe we could start a separate forum entry listing all the contributions that do not appear correctly in the viewer, then someone with a technical know how can analyse them to see if there is a common factor why this should be so.

We already have Sherlock Holmes who can find out all the deviances in crime, Doctor House who can diagnose the most obscure diseases, now we need a Techno Geek who can work out this problem.  Anyone rise to the challenge!!!!

2 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, I can give you a few more ideas that also affect viewing layout depending on your program defaults, which program you design your worksheets in (e.g. Star Office vs Word) & why they aren�t always compatible - all this is in addition to font availability(which can vary from program to program on the same machine depending on installation requirements), hierarchy & defaults - but this won�t necessarily solve any problems.
I�ll quote myself from the discussion referenced above:

... the reason the font changes has a lot to with what fonts are available to Word [or whatever program is accessing the file] on the computer the document is viewed (or in this case stored) on. There is a hierarchy in fonts - each font belongs to either �serif� or �sans serif�, and then a particular family. They can be �True Type� or several other �types�. If Word doesn�t have a font available it will change the font to the nearest relative font depending on specific user settings or default settings. The same thing happens with web browsers when you roam the internet!

So, if the font is changing it may or may not be a problem - it all depends on what the downloader has available on their system. The other issue, of course, will be one of alignment.

Because font sizes can be different (it doesn�t just depend on the size you give it in your document - font width can vary from one font to another) this may have an impact on the layout of your worksheet. Even the language/location default settings can effect the way your fonts work. For example, I have the option to input Japanese in my software settings. If I use certain options I can still input the English alphabet but the character (letters, numbers, spaces, etc) will all be much more widely spaced than if I use the English input options. This is because even if I use �Arial� as the font, Word will automatically change to a font that can support the Japanese character set.

These are just some details... & without being able to access the software & server(s) that Victor uses I would not be able to go anywhere near offering solutions on these for the site.

Cheers

2 Feb 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

I knew alien boy is the techno geek the world of esl printables has been waiting for!!!

I know full well of the problems with incompatible fonts, but this phenomenon happens with worksheets that also have standard fonts.  I have one on the past tense which is standard throughout, but the viewer shows one of the boxes in totally the wrong place obscuring the text.

It has been downloaded over 100 times so I am not complaining - just pointing out that incorrect fonts is probably not the only reason why this happens.

2 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

The issue for your worksheet, Logos, will probably be due to one of a couple of other issues:

default settings for page layout in whatever software is used to generate the previews. I believe this was probably also the case when the borderless pages were a problem with preview layout. I believe Victor has already rectified that issue;

underlying coding for layout in the originating document not being recognised in the same manner by the interpreting software. This is the reason for some layout issues between Star Office/Oxygen Office/ Open Office/Draw/Publisher & Word;

or thirdly (& this strikes me as a little unlikely in your case)

unintentional layout errors in whatever software is used to create the worksheet. Word, for example, has a habit of keeping a lot of extra information (this also relates to the difference in file sizes that sometimes occurs between altered saved documents & new �copy & paste� versions of the altered docs). Sometimes this creates a few issues in some views of the document that interpret this extra info that Word itself simply ignores. Word may even keep extra text boxes, drawing boxes & similar items - this may cause unexpected misalignment in some viewing software too.

In the case originally mentioned by Martik, I expect it will be the fonts issue I mentioned earlier.

2 Feb 2009     

wolfy
Chile

look at this thread:

Hope it helps.

Logos: the past tense ws: �The image (yellow) is set to "in front of text". � The problem is not the image but the table it�s in. �On the preview it doesn�t appear in the table so is moved infront of the next text. �On my PC it appears in the table so all is OK. �I tried messing about with it but I cannot reproduce the error. �(Tools / options / Print). �Usually helps, but this time I think the error is in Tools / Options / Compatibility. �You could try checking some boxes and trying a print preview to see if you can reproduce the error. �

2 Feb 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Wow!! Thanks alien boy.  You lost me after default settings....

I knew you were the man to come to for techno geek stuff.  Rock on!!!

2 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Thanks Wolfy!

Wish I�d seen it before - it�s a very clear & concise checklist for Word.

Plain & simple, not like my gobbledigook!

It should be added to the FAQs.

Thumbs Up

2 Feb 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Thanks so much to you both for trying to sort out the problem, but to be honest I�m not that fussed about changing it as it has over 100 downloads and if I was to cancel it and replace it with another I would lose all those points!!!!

Guess I�m just a point grabbing capitalist after all!!!

Thanks again

2 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >