Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Compound Nouns    

Compound Nouns

Apryll12
Hungary

Compound Nouns

Hi Everybody,

Can anyone help me with compound nouns? Is there a rule how to write them correctly? When are they written separately, in one word or with a hyphen? Or can I find it out only in a dictionary?

Thanks in advance.

Krisztina

2 Feb 2009      

mena22
Portugal

GSmileSmileD Morning Krisztina! GSmileSmileD Morning to you all!

I�ve been working on word formation and making some worksheets on it, but I still haven�t got to compound nouns. However, according to Michael Swan, 

- short compound nouns are generally written like single words: bathroom; seaside; lampshade....

- others may be written with a hyphen (girl-friend) or separatedly (furniture shop).

He says in many cases usage varies  and sometimes combinations can be found in all  three ways - skiboots / ski-boots/ ski boots; headmaster/ head-master/ head master.

According to him, hyphens are becoming less and less common in modern English (which will make things easier for us teachers!:))) and it is usually acceptable to write the two words separatedly, except with very short common nouns like bathroom (this also makes our life easier, and our students�).

Hope I could help!
Now I must get ready for school.

Have a nice day! Smile
Mena

2 Feb 2009     

Apryll12
Hungary

Thanks, Mena, it was really a great help!

But if I think about it I would say that the rule is that there�s no rule. I have seen compound words written in all three ways that�s why I�m looking for a simple but good rule that I could teach to my students, but I find it really difficult to find such a rule.

I may try to stick to Swan�s explanation. THanks again.

Krisztina 

2 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, I�d say the rule is there are 3 rules - as per Swan.

Like every language, English has changed over time. Many of the conventions used 100 years ago are no longer used by every native English speaker.

Hyphens are used less frequently, so I would be inclined to tell students to use separate words or combined words.

Cheers!

2 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Krisztina

The rule is to encourage your students to check their English dictionary if they are unsure because the rules are not really clear.  The Australian national dictionary (Macquarie) for example spells girlfriend without a hyphen and so therefore it can be assumed that Swan, being British, has perhaps used a form acceptable in Standard British English.   In Standard Australian English it is not acceptable to spell girlfriend with a hyphen.  I��m not sure about Standard American English.

I think you will find that many good grammar books will refer you to a dictionary and Swan, being the grammar guru he is, has done well to try to explain it but has covered his bases by using this reference also, albeit in small print.

Jayho

2 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

This is the first time I have ever seen girlfriend spelled with a hyphen (native American speaking).

Webster�s says: girlfriend

Douglas

2 Feb 2009