Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A hard one    

A hard one

Maja O.
Poland

A hard one

Hi everyone,

I �d like you to ask for help. I �m an english teach since a long time but at the moment I �ve got a very difficult student. It �s a 14 years old girl who is bored with everything. She wants to learn English but she doesn �t like reading any texts, learning grammar or do some lexical exercises.

I meet with her once a week for 1,5 hour and now the problem is that I have no ideas how to prepare the lesson for her.                                            Have you got any clues, any suggestions ? 

Please, help me,

Hugs from Poland

11 Nov 2013      

anusiarybek
Poland

Maybe you should use an interactive board materials or watch educational films with her. You can find a lot of useful things for teenagers on www.learnenglishteens.org . Have fun!

11 Nov 2013     

anusiarybek
Poland

Sorry but it �s : http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/  
Great materials.

11 Nov 2013     

memthefirst
Turkey

I had a younger private student.( a 9 year old girl).She didn �t want to do exercises but draw flowers on the board etc.I prepared "well done cards" with my signature on them.They had stars on them,too.We made an agreement.She could get a well done card at the end of the lesson if she pleased me.After she collected 5 cards she could get a nice present.That worked well and we were both happy.
Give her rewards after her accomplishments.That �ll motivate her!

11 Nov 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Try asking her why she wants to learn English. Does she like listening to Australian music? Does she like American movies? Does she like English books, such as the Harry Potter series? Does she want to attend college or university in New Zealand? Or does she really not want to learn English, but her parents want her to learn English?

If she likes pop culture, use pop culture. There are many worksheets from movies, TV, and songs here at ESLP (none of them mine).

If she wants to attend an English-language university, research them with her. Use Google in English. And you can remind her that there �s a lot of tedious work in college, and that the TOEFL is a very difficult test.

It �s going to be more difficult if she doesn �t really want to learn English. If that �s the case, then see if you can motivate her using her interests, and find appropriate materials.

11 Nov 2013