Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > How about an evaluation system?    

How about an evaluation system?

susannista
Austria

How about an evaluation system?

Hello everybody!

I am wondering what all of you would think about introducing a system that would allow members to rate or evaluate contributions (based on correctness or content, rather than layout, because that is a matter of personal taste, you know, ...)

The reason I am suggesting this is that I get the impression that frequently downloaded ws are more likely to be downloaded again - even when they contain grammatical errors or other mistakes. It annoys me when I follow the crowd and download something that turns out to be full of mistakes.

2 Feb 2009      

lilytech
Argentina

When I registered I had tought that the comment space below any  contribution WAS a serious evaluation or assessmet made by  downloaders - teachers. The experience of enriching oneself with new  ideas, corrections was challenging.

Most comments though are meant to thank or to qualify the beauty of the printable.

So if there could be a section in which experienced  teachers  (or even teacher trainers ) would assess our work I would feel extremely happy - as in the trainee days !

2 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Even feedback after using the sheets in class would be enough. 

2 Feb 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Whilst I think an evaluation system sounds like a good idea I think it would in fact be very difficult to implement.  The evaluation of material is a very subjective thing as what appeals to one person may not appeal to another.  We have teachers who teach from kindergarden to Advanced adults and so not all material is valued the same.

In addition, the setting up and recording of this information on the page would also be technically fairly complicated and may cause more �glitches� because of this.  I don�t know how long you have been with the site, but I am sure many of us recall that in the middle of 2008 the forum and sharing part of the site totally collapsed and I believe it was because of the overload of different features that were originally offered on the site. (I may be wrong)

But basically I think the main reason for not having an evaluation is because opinions are too subjective.

If you have downloaded a worksheet with a number of mistakes in it, then I think the general concensus has been that you should inform the originator through the comments section so that the contributor will receive the information when they next log on and people who subsequently download the worksheet can be made aware of the changes that need to be made.  But please do this with tact and politeness - make changes without comment of the contributor�s competence in English.

2 Feb 2009     

tlbojko
United States

I think Susanista�s point is a good one.  Of course, we appreciate everyones work here and we have the option to download or not to download but it would sure be a timesaver if we could inform others when we see errors.  We can send a private message to the ws designer or leave a nice but informative message such as - great ws but there may be an oversight with #4.  I believe it is "too" not "to".  What would be great is if there was something like a 5 star rating for accuracy - not appeal.  Yes, design and layout is subjective but accuracy is NOT.  If you do not think you are a fluent english speaker, you can simply not rate the ws.

2 Feb 2009     

donapeter
Romania

Dear all,
I am a quite old member of this site and ..at the very beginning , it was such a system of evaluation. In wasn�t a very good system and later, as you all can see now, Victor introduced this new system.  It is very subjective to evaluate a worksheet and to grade it. I think this will be a new way to attack some members. I think this system is the best. It is not necessary to give our professional opinion on something that other people make for fun or for pleasure. Don;t spoil this!

2 Feb 2009     

pirchy
Israel

I totally agree with donapeter. I think that we judge a ws by downloading it or not and whether it suits our needs. I don�t think it�s a matter of following the crowd at all. I always see wonderful, colorful ws but I don�t download them just because a lot of other members have done so. After checking the preview I decide if the ws is suitable for me or not.

In case there are mistakes in the ws - which may happen - we can correct it. I never give a ws to my students without reading it carefully and solving all the exercises. So as I see it, there is no need to change this wonderful website. It is wonderful the way it is!!! Thumbs Up

2 Feb 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

This is one big ol can of worms that personally I would not touch with a barge pole!

I think  that as professionals we just need to make sure we use the spell check function before we send our printables in.. I know that often the errors I make are mostly typing ones.. in that my fingers don�t go where I think they have been!!! Spell check is my best friend 24/7! :-) I usually check quite a few times and then check again before I submit anything!

Also I know that I sometimes have a lot of trouble identifying mistakes when reading from the computer screen, but can spot a  mistake at 50 paces when it is printed on paper! :-)

I think the best way to approach a member who has many mistakes is to send a private message so they can update the printable with the corrections. If you have left a message of thanks it is also easy for the member to contact you and offer to send you the corrected sheet via email as well.

As for ratings.... I just couldn�t.. mainly because I would really hate to hurt anyone�s feelings or cause them embarrassment in a public way especially as we know and appreciate the hard work and time that goes into our creations.

2 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Though I do get frustrated with correcting the spelling, grammar and vocabulary of the worksheets I think an evaluation system would be a monster of a process! And in a way, to download or not to download is an evaluation system in itself if people check the worksheet carefully. I try to do that and send private messages to the contributors and usually I get positive answers (not always). What I find annoying is worksheets which are done in publisher and cannot be edited easily!

2 Feb 2009