Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > 1 bus - 2 buses ???? Help, please ;o))    

1 bus - 2 buses ???? Help, please ;o))

Pelletrine
France

1 bus - 2 buses ???? Help, please ;o))

Dear all, 
I hope you �re all enjoying a nice and quiet Sunday ;o))

I do, except for this: I �m quite unable to explain why we don �t double the final �s � in �bus � : 1 bus - 2 busses, please help me: what grammar rule havn �t I learnt yet ?(I, know, there must be many many more, but regarding this plural) 
- It looks so odd to me with only one �s � : 2 buses (I would tend to pronounce it as rhyming with �uses �.... but we don �t, do we? we pronounce it as if there were 2 �s � Confused
.... I know that, but I can �t explain it to my students, who are now learning about plural nouns.

Can you help me out here, please?

Have a nice evening Smile
Pelletrine

24 Nov 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Tell them this: it just does. It rhymes with �pusses � but we spell it �buses �. What about these as well: octopuses/viruses. Do we ever double the last �s � in these cases??? Can �t think of any. Wish I could have been of more help!

Edit: apparently most nouns ending in �us� derive from Latin so strictly speaking, the plural should be�i� as in octopus >octopi,  campus > campi etc. However, it�s incredibly pretentious to do this (in my opinion).

�Bus� comes from the Latin �omnibus� which means �for everybody�, so really, the plural could be �omnibi�. Silly, and doesn�t really answer your question, but if you explain all this, hopefully your students will be ready to move on....

24 Nov 2013     

Pelletrine
France

Dear Lynne,

Thanks a bunch!!! It really does help: I hate to answer "Because!" - having nothing else to say ;o)
I think the �long-cut � through latin will help me explaining ... just a bit more than "Because it is so!" I �ll push on my investigations through the door you just opened: thanks Thumbs Up

amiti�s,
Pelletrine

24 Nov 2013     

frenchfrog
France

Oxford Advanced Learner �s Dictionary:
bus noun (pl. buses, US also busses) Wink

24 Nov 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

The regular rule is that words ending in -s, -ch, -sh, -x or -z add -es to make the plural. And that includes �bus � (as Cunliffe says, from �omnibus � which just means �for all � in Latin - but it �s already a sort of plural form), although �busses � is just a little-used variant. There �s no big mystery, really.

Incidentally, octopus is from the Greek - not Latin - so it wouldn �t take a Latin plural anyway - but it does conform to the -s ending rule above.

24 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Almaz - octo means 8 in Latin and pus is short for pedes (feet). I just made the last part up.
Anyway, nice to see you on the forum, French Frog. I �ve been using stuff from your wonderful website - your interactive vocab sheets and interactive books, particularly. So, I will share the address here:

24 Nov 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Cunliffe, FYI: okto + pous (Greek for eight + foot). Wink

24 Nov 2013     

Pelletrine
France

Thank you dears for your inputs : I �ll go to bed having learnt something, thanks to you: have a lovely, lively week ;o))

24 Nov 2013