Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Relative pronouns    

Relative pronouns

Goreti Ponte
Portugal

Relative pronouns

Hi dear teachers!

I have to prepare a lesson on relative pronouns and my experience has shown me that it is quite confusing, for non-native speakers, to understand how and when to use them.

Can you help me on this task? How can I make it meaningful to my students? What strategy(ies) can I use?

Thanks in advance

Have a great evening. 

27 Nov 2013      

mialee
Korea, South

You can have your students write the name of five people on a piece of paper without showing it to their partners then they think of five people they know of for example: aunt, uncle, grandmother, grandfather (if none) then sister, brothers or cousins.  Then have your students in pairs and take turns describing people using only the relative pronouns until all the names they have written down have been guessed correct.  Such as: "She is a girl who is the daughter of my mother �s sister."  "He is the father of my father." etc Smile  The pair that guessed all correct first wins!

27 Nov 2013     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I  usually  teach them in defining relative clauses, so I  write words on the board and ask them to define them.

architect
An architect  is  the person     who designs houses
museum
A museum    is  a place           where you can see old things.
sandwich
A sandwich   is  something     which you can have for lunch in the office.

Then you can play a quiz game:
You give definitions and they have to guess the word:

The person who takes the food to the table in a restaurant (waiter)

Students love the subject and they learn it quickly when they understand it is very useful when they do not remember/know a word.

27 Nov 2013     

Goreti Ponte
Portugal

Thanks a lot for your wonderful suggestions. Smile

28 Nov 2013     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Playing Taboo game may be a good idea.

28 Nov 2013