Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What kind of conditional is this?    

What kind of conditional is this?

ch&c-englishclasses
Peru

What kind of conditional is this?

Dear colleagues, I need your help I came across to this conditional in a book for CAE preparation can you enlight me with your knowledge?

"I�ll open the window if it�ll make you feel better." How can I explain this to students that have always been told the we never use will in the IF clause. Thanks, if you can provide me with a link for more examples will be awesome.

Thanks a lot

27 Nov 2013      

Mariethe House
France

I guess it is the short cut to:
I �ll open the window if you think it will make you feel better.

28 Nov 2013     

dmharg
Greece

Did you see that writen on a book? Because it is obviously wrong. Anyway when students study to get their Proficiency degree in their grammar it says that it is acceptable to use any kind of tenses in conditional as long as it makes sense :)

28 Nov 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

There are some exceptions to will/won �t appearing in if-clauses and one is where "the condition expressed by the whole sentence obtains in the present" (Quirk and Greenbaum) as in:

If it will make any difference, I �ll gladly lend you some money.

i.e. "the future contingency expressed in the if-clause determines a present decision".

28 Nov 2013     

ch&c-englishclasses
Peru

Thanks a loooooooot

28 Nov 2013