Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Truth About Thanksgiving    

The Truth About Thanksgiving

justinwade82
Thailand

The Truth About Thanksgiving

The Truth about Thanksgiving

Just remember when you teach the myth of Thanksgiving about how the Native Americans supposedly helped the Pilgrims, it is nothing but a lie.  In truth, the pilgirms were rapists, murderers, thieves who stole land and committed genocide.  By teaching Thanksgiving  you are helping perpetuate the myth that Native Americans were befriended by the Pilgrims and Puritans when in fact they were destroyed.

Thanksgiving is a day of morning NOT a day to give thanks.

Please teach the truth as you wouldn �t make worksheets that deny the Holocaust so why would you do the same to Native Americans?

28 Nov 2013      

olaola
Italy

the colonization of the new territories all over the world has always  been a story of invasion, violence and prevarication... there is nothing new in what you are saying

28 Nov 2013     

barbario
Spain

nothing new, but it �s good to be reminded so we don �t become forgetful. that could be very convinient but certainly not fair

28 Nov 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Rapists, murderers and thieves the Pilgrims may well have been, but without them the world wouldn�t have had big guns, big hair and Big Macs. A wee bit o� slack, people, please.

28 Nov 2013     

cukurova
Turkey

Very interesting.I will definitely read these articles.Thanks a lot for sharing

28 Nov 2013     

alien boy
Japan

Interesting links :)

Thank you very much.

The first link (http://www.manataka.org/page269.html) is an excellent article - very fair, balanced and positive. Make sure you read it to the end!

The other articles are a reminder to me to always look beyond the myths and stories presented as fact in media & culture. �Truth � can often be moulded to suit a teller �s own ends, and that �truth � perpetuated without question.

To quote Chuck Larsen from the Manataka American Indian Council:

So here is a story for your children. It is as kind and gentle a balance of historic truth and positive inspiration as its writers and this editor can make it out to be. I hope it will adequately serve its purpose both for you and your students, and I also hope this work will encourage you to look both deeper and farther, for Thanksgiving is Thanksgiving all around the world.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

28 Nov 2013     

douglas
United States

From your text:

"Thanksgiving has always been a time of people coming together, so thanks has also been offered for that gift of fellowship between us all.  Every last Thursday in November we now partake in one of the OLDEST and most UNIVERSAL of human celebrations, and THERE ARE MANY THANKSGIVING STORIES TO TELL."

29 Nov 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

History has been written by those who conquered. Secondly, history is a story of violence, and nothing else. Nevertheless we call our society civilised, despite the many acts of violence that still occur. As such, should we abandon all religious and patriotic celebrations and commemorations? Or should try to keep a flame of hope that humanity could be humane one day? Let �s change the world the only way we can, by changing ourselves, and, especially as teachers, live by example. So, Justin, you �d better start thinking about what you �re going to teach about Christmas and so on. But beware, telling everything as it really (sic) happened may turn your classes into R-rated events! Cheers.

29 Nov 2013     

barbario
Spain

I see you are getting very sensitive about the subject however I don �t think anybody is asking you to stop celebrating thanksgiving as is a celebration that has changed along the years and become something different with its own present history. Native americans (who exist)see things in a different way. For them is a day of sorrow and remembrance and I can �t think of any reason why they should get over it.Do Jews get over Holocaust? Are americans going to get over september 11? You can still celebrating and have feelings of love and getting together which are certainly good but why deny to tell the truth about the beginning of the thanksgiving celebration at the schools?

29 Nov 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Or, you could take the satirical route...

29 Nov 2013     

douglas
United States

And not to forget: many native American tribes also celebrated their (1 of 5 per
 year) Thanksgivings before and after slaughtering and enslaving other tribes.  This is a human nature thing, NOT just a white man thing.

IMHO: whatever the antecedents, the premise of Thanksgiving is a good one which is celebrated (one way or another) by almost every culture in the world and it should be a day of being thankful--we have other days for remembering the bad things.

Douglas 

29 Nov 2013