Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > grmmaticality    

grmmaticality

t.javanshir
Australia

grmmaticality

Could you please comment on the grammaticality of the following sentences:

1. This field involves so many unanswered questions that it needs to be explored in detail. (It referring to the field not the unanswered questions; hence not intending "This field ....unanswered questions which need to be explored...")

2.  Because that is the comments which will finally result in your prosperity not the books.

Native speaker comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Toofan

30 Nov 2013      

anitarobi
Croatia

1. There are so many unanswered questions about this field that it needs to be explored in detail. (perhaps slightly better) or
This field leaves so many questions unanswered that it needs to be explored in detail.

2. - I don �t quite understand the sentence. Grammatically, �that is the comment � not �comments � because the verb is in singular, but the meaning of the sentence is unclear. What exactly do you mean by prosperity here, and what kind of comments?

30 Nov 2013     

t.javanshir
Australia

I mean, I will provide so many comments (hence comments not comment), and the comments will result in students � success, not studying books.

Thanks for the first one anitarobi

30 Nov 2013     

anitarobi
Croatia

Then I would say- It is the comments which will enable you to make progress,more than the mere study of books.

30 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Sentence 1 sounds fine to me; it is succinct and clear. 

Sentence 2 needs slight adjustment. �Because it is the comments which will finally result in your prosperity, not the books. � 
Or if you are happy to change it a bit, this is better:
�Because it is the comments which will result in your eventual prosperity, not the books. �  

Anita �s suggestions are good. 

30 Nov 2013     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thank you both guys. The explanations were quite helpful.

30 Nov 2013