Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help please     

I need your help please

hanen
Tunisia

I need your help please

Our new  topic is entitled Our Community : how community services like health , arts and safety help improve our community? unfortunately I have no idea how to deal with this topic . Could anyone of you my dearest colleagues help me by giving me some ideas or if possible some lessons ? please it is really urgent.Thanks in advance.

3 Feb 2009      

juvelry
United Arab Emirates

Which grade and level of student are you having?

3 Feb 2009     

hanen
Tunisia

It is for grade 8.

3 Feb 2009     

juvelry
United Arab Emirates

Ahan I see.
Well I can give you only some ideas as unfortunately I have no time to prepare any lesson plan for now.
you can introduce different community helpers with discuss what they do around us. What tools they use. You can print pics and do a matching game with them. Or you can show them tools asking whom they belong to.
You also can discuss institutions these people work and if they are present in your community or not. Discuss the location of buildings how important it is for such and such institution to be close or not. What can the consequences be if there is no help around or the location is too far or too close.
You can also get some pictures of these institutions and make an "identification cards" for each of them. Make students work in group. As one student - "the reader" will describe a place and them they discuss what possibly it can be. If they have it around their school or not. After the whole class can discuss their opinions or discoveries they made. Agree or disagree, compare.
You can also offer groups to build their model of community they think is the best; locate necessary buildings, institutions in a given area. They can just draw it clearly enough to see. As I don�t think it is very easy to find toy houses and other buildings to create a project.
In the end you can discuss if your community is equipped with all necessary items and stuff. Try to make them share their own experience, some life stories maybe. Students learn better through this as they become personally involved. Well see. Just few ideas. Hope they are helpful.
Take care. ;)

3 Feb 2009     

hanen
Tunisia

thanks soooooooooooooooo much for your helpful ideas . by the way , I am Tunisian but I teach in the UAE.

3 Feb 2009