Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > At the weekends???    

At the weekends???

Fernandez
Spain

At the weekends???

Hello there,

I have a problem with "at the weekend" I know that�s the right preposition to use in a sentence like: �I went out at the weekend � (is it correct?) I�m getting confused, a student told me another teacher corrected her sentence: �I usually go out at the weekends �. I am not sure why it is not acceptable to say "at the weekends" and I just can�t figure out which or why is correct anymore, could anybody give me some explanation?

Thanks in advance.

PS: can we say �I usually go out weekends � �cause it also sounds good to me ?!*?*!?!

6 Dec 2013      

modelena
Italy

I learnt at school

at the weekend
at weekends

hope it is useful for you
elena

6 Dec 2013     

maryse pey�
France

It is a question of habit or non-habit.

Let me explain.

When you say "at the weekend" you mean "NEXT one", "the one TO COME". it is not an habit.

But

If you say "at (the) weekendS" you mean "EVERY weekend" or "ALL the weekendS". It is an habit, something you usually do.

So the plural is the mark of the habit.

Is it helpful ?

Maryse.

6 Dec 2013     

teachertonyinchina
China

At the weekend is correct. On Monday I might ask my students what they did at the weekend and on Friday I might ask them what will you do at the weekend. 

6 Dec 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

As an American English speaker, I never say "at the weekend" in any context. I always say "on the weekend" or "on weekends." Other flavors of English may use at, but not American English.

6 Dec 2013     

Crocy88
Australia

In Australia it would be considered incorrect to say �at the weekend �. We would say �On the weekend i went to ..... � or �I am planning to go to the beach on the weekend �.

I played AT the beach ON the weekend.

i usually go out on weekends
i usually go out on the weekend.

6 Dec 2013     

LucyJ16
United Kingdom

British English uses �at the weekend � = I am going to the cinema at the weekend.
American English uses �on the weekend � = I am going to the beach on the weekend.

Both are correct.

I usually go out weekends is slightly informal, but it is correct if you are talking about something you do every weekend.

Hope that helps.

6 Dec 2013     

Fernandez
Spain

Thanks you all very much!!

You have been very helpful! I kind of knew Americans use another preposition but I wasn �t sure which one, I did not know about Australians... 

Thanks again, this is why I love this website!!

7 Dec 2013     

FrauSue
France

To go back to the original example - 
I went out at the weekend. (One specific weekend)
I usually go out at the weekend. (Weekends in general, using "the weekend" to refer to a specific part of the week)
I usually go out at weekends. (Less common, weekends plural so no "the").
This is in UK English.

10 Dec 2013