Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > which is correct?    

which is correct?

cacucacu
Argentina

which is correct?

Hi Everyone!
Happy new year to all of you!
I �ve been away for a while and I �m glad to see lots of you!
I was wondering if someone might tell me which of these two expressions is all right.

I �m sure I �ve heard many people say "GIVE YOUR BEST" meaning try to always give you best effort. But my collegues told this expression doesn �t exist in English. They say that "DO YOUR BEST" is the correct way of saying it.

Can somebody clarify this matter to me?

Thanks a lot!
Kisses from Argentina

2 Jan 2014      

EstherLee76
Peru

I think DO YOUR BEST is more common in this case but GIVE YOUR BEST is also okay, especially when using GIVE IT YOUR BEST.  Let �s hear what others have to say.

2 Jan 2014     

Apodo
Australia

Do your best is the most common phrase. 

We also say:

Give it your best shot = do the best you can. 

Give it all you �ve got - (especially of physical effort) = put all the effort into it that you can.

2 Jan 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

As Apodo - do your best/give it your best shot/give it all you �ve got are the most common expressions. Also, give it a go/have a go, which just means have a try. I think with give your best it would primarily be used in recounts with of, as in, �He always gave of his best.� 

3 Jan 2014     

yanogator
United States

To add a little more, I �d say that "give your best" - without "it" - would only be used in the sense of actually giving something (to charity, for example).

Bruce

3 Jan 2014     

cacucacu
Argentina

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!
I appreciate it a lot!!!!!!
Love, 
Naty

3 Jan 2014